Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Raw case counts were important when there were no vaccines and there was a very high risk of people spreading the virus to vulnerable people who were at a high risk of serious illness or death.

They become less important when they drop from thousands a day to dozens or less a day, and almost all of those cases are in people who chose not to get vaxxed.

1 Like

Would have been worse than Italy back early last year…Lots of old people dying at home here. Now imagine whole districts such as Wanhua overloaded with corpses.

Any evidence for this?

The Delta variant (which is currently of most concern to health authorities) was first detected in India in October 2020, before any vaccines were available.

Sure they do…

3 Likes

Should only take a thirty day study to get to the truth once and for all. Lock fifty vaxed and masked volunteers and fifty volunteer Covid commandos in a controlled facility with one symptomatic Covid patient and come back in thirty days and see what you’ve got. Pay each volunteer – or their next of kin – $10,000 USD for their trouble. You could even make a reality tv show out of it.

2 Likes

This is a brilliant idea. Why has no TV company thought of this? It’d be the ultimate reality show. And we would actually learn something useful.

The cynic in me suggests that learning something useful would be the worst possible thing that could happen at this point. If it turned out that lockdowns etc were completely pointless, long jail terms for certain people would be called for.

EDIT: it just occurred to me that you’d need more like 500-1000 people. A smaller number wouldn’t adequately simulate real-world dynamics, and the fatality rate is so low that you wouldn’t see a single death or serious case among 50 people.

Thank you. What’s your prediction for how it would end? Half the vaxed and masked wusses dead of vaccine poisoning and mask hypoxia and the Covid commandos with a 100% survival rate and killer mahjong skills?

1 Like

For a population of 1000 people in the intervention and control groups, I would predict one or two deaths in both groups. The vaxed (control) individuals would die of the usual random things that people die of.

The unlucky “winners” could perhaps collect a million $ for the benefit of their families. Of course, medical treatment would have to be on hand. It would be truly unethical to just let people die.

Even 1000 people would be horribly underpowered, though. Given the inherently low rate of serious COVID outcomes, the differences between the two groups would not be statistically significant.

Hey guys keep this in the Drunken Musings thread where it belongs. Sheesh.

2 Likes

It’s only a drunken musing in a world where scientific experiments are verboten.

I’m sure there would be sufficient volunteers who would give informed consent for such a thing. I personally would be happy to enrol, if someone were mad enough to set it up. Far worse experiments that this have been done for the greater good; look up the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, for example.

Paging Elon Musk to put up some cash for the world’s most bizarre experiment.

1 Like

Victor Lee Tucker, Jr. (30) shoots female cashier over mask dispute in DeKalb County, Georgia, USA

A post was merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Covid is difficult on everyone, including they.

1 Like

Maybe there is a better spot for this.

according to a Taiwanese representative, {getting chips will} eventually cause “logistical problems” if the country doesn’t get access to more vaccines.

Taiwan’s manufacturing accounts for more than 60 percent of global semiconductor revenue. In other words, the majority of processors used in electronics worldwide come through Taiwan.

1 Like

A new antibody testing study examining samples originally collected through the National Institutes of Health’s All of Us Research Program found evidence of SARS-CoV-2 infections in five states earlier than had initially been reported. These findings were published in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases . The results expand on findings from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study(link is external) that suggested SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, was present in the U.S. as far back as December 2019.

id say even before that to be honest.

I am wondering what the current sentiment towards the DPP is amongst taiwanese people?

How do the people feel about the way the current situation is being handled?

I’m keeping in touch with friends in TW on a regular basis and most of them are pretty upset. None of them are KMT supporters.

Here is a postmortem report from someone who has died 4 weeks after taking the jab. Wonder why only report is available out of all those who have snuffed it after the jab?

Please don’t take this to mean you should not get the jab. Shit happens, and maybe for some protection isn’t 100 percent, but no vaccines have ever claimed 100 percent 0rotection but it does go a long way of providing herd immunity and it’s what we need to stop having to keep wearing mask in this hellish weather.