Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

No they were there to stop an illegal gathering. It is not clear if she intended to participate, but it is SOP for police to ask for identification if she was heading that way.

The security law in HK came from China to quell democracy.
Democracy in Germany is not at risk.

Mind the language

4 Likes

Kind of reminds me of this thread.
I Was Accosted By Cops - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

Yeah, technically foreigners in Taiwan must have arc/passport at all times.
Another law not enforced by the police (unless your skin is not white).

Arbitrary police checks are not okay, but that was not the case in that woman’s arrest in Germany.

1 Like

Even if it’s “SOP”, what they could have done, if they were not (as you seem to think) a bunch of fascist thugs, would be to say “you know what ma’am, there’s a protest going on here, are you sure you want to be here?”. Because that would be the sort of thing that nice civilized policemen do. She was not the suspect in a crime (the rule is the same in the UK) and they therefore had no valid reason to demand ID.

But they didn’t do that. They deliberately escalated the situation to ensure an arrest. Policemen do this all the time for shits and giggles - COVID has given them an excuse to do it more often.

Lol. Ok. Just remember that when it’s a police boot on your own neck. They’re upholding democracy!

1 Like

Well, it’s a puppet democracy.
The real rulers of Germany are in Brussels.

2 Likes

If you watch the video I posted, that’s what happened in the beginning.
They were talking to her, explaining the situation. She was dismissive and not cooperative.

More of a Karen situation than ‘fascism’.
There are plenty of other people walking around, doing their thing, without issues.

Not sure if that problem can be resolved.

I study ER visits and hospitalizations as part of my work. The initial idea of my project was to look at people with a chronic disease (diabetes, kidney disease…) and find the likelihood of them hitting the ER because of that disease (those ER visits being deemed highly preventable). Turns out, ER logs are extremely vague and ambiguous. Someone will be admitted for very high fever or stomach pains, and it’s only later that doctors will diagnose this as COVID or appendicitis or whatever–but that diagnosis won’t be marked on the ER entry log. So what we ended up doing is to work with any ER visit by our patients, even if that sometimes mean looking at a diabetic patient visiting the ER for other reasons than diabetes.

That’s to say, the data is dirty and we have to work with it, even if that means making some approximations.

2 Likes

I remember my father telling me what life was like living in a police state / dictatorship.

A few things he described that stuck with me:

• rules were set that no more than 3 people could sit at a table (restaurant, cafe, etc) otherwise it was considered “conspiring” and the junta would come and break it up

• old folk didn’t mind because they loved the nationalism and the “streets were clean” claiming some basic human rights like sewage systems were the result of the “good leader” as if no other country on earth had functioning sewage systems…

• while working, a customer made a joke about the dictator - my father laughed at the joke and a Junta pushed a machine gun against his ribs asking “you think it’s funny?” Luckily didn’t escalate further.

• a McCarthy-like rumor was spread by a neighbor that landed him in jail - he got out after embarrassing the junta for their mistake. They claimed they caught his father and brother engaged in anti-State activities and that he would also be jailed with them , but my father explained “but I have no father (died young) and no brother (never had a brother)” their faces turned red after checking documents and realizing their mistake — still, point is families in whole were jailed for actions of one, common occurrence.

• the junta were just young guys, merely teenagers (17,18,19), enforcing brutal rules and punishments

• politics were a joke, the idea of “voting” meant nothing. “Politicians” went to the village to campaign (fund raise for themselves and probably keep all the money) promising new construction of schools. Old grandmothers who lost their families in WWII in the audience cried “but we have no more children to fill the schools” and the politician would reply “then we will give you more children too!”

Sigh, history does repeat itself I guess. Social distancing, control over what you’re allowed to laugh at, etc.

4 Likes

I thought the current conspiracy nut “argument” was that the EU is the 4th Reich controlled by Germany?

So much stupidity these days.

1 Like

Teacher locks son in trunk of car to avoid covid.

2 Likes

Well, you put yourself under the proverbial microscope, because your rules/mandates are not voted upon by the people who have to live under them.

2 Likes

All restrictions in England maybe dropped by the end of the month. England first European country to move to endemic stage

4 Likes

“UK could be first to tame the pandemic”
ROFL. These dozy feckers actually think that they had something to do with it.

It ain’t over til it’s over though. Javid is still pushing for vaxing all NHS staff and playing all sorts of other silly games. Vaccine passports are still very much on the cards. I suspect they’ll simply switch to a new tactic: yes, COVID has gone way, but you’re still going to do exactly as you’re told.

I still hope Boris comes forward and tells he was forced to introduce the measures, political compromise. Yet he like large part of the population did not like them and therefore still attended parties. That would strengthen his spot not only on the conservative side, while breaking morale support for any measures.

Yeah let’s hope those mandates go down in a wash too. They don’t make sense. Especially boosters for the under 55. Problem is until this reaches a state level court it will take too long…
Yet he has to wait 1-2 weeks for announcing this because right now is bad timing. The less cases there are / less load on hospitals, the easier to do so. I think in 10 days is perfect timing.
I don’t like Boris policies in general, yet with covid he was better than most western politicians.

1 Like

State level court?

More like the huge majority followed the rules while he and his menagerie flaunted them with huge parties. Which is why the anger is so massive now and people seek consequences for him.

2 Likes

Depends where you lived. Middle class areas followed the rules. On the council estates life continued as normal.

My dad was telling me how if he went to Sainsbury’s, everyone wore masks. If he went to farm foods, nobody would.

Really, people in England did so? In several European countries I’ve been to, most people continued to meet friends, though yes few had big parties like Boris.

But yeah most didn’t correctly stick to the rules… Later most unvaccinated went to bars, restaurants breaking rules, and so on…
But yes depended on the country. In Germany for example two families were allowed to meet, so people likely didn’t break the rules too often. In Austria not allowed to visit another household during lockdown, I guess the majority didn’t care and met in small circle. Some still had parties, but the majority didn’t.

Haven’t ventured into Farm Foods since I was a student, but that wouldn’t surprise me in the least. I grew up on a council estate and I have a certain sense of nostalgia for it. It was genuinely a different world, disconnected from a lot of mainstream concerns (not least because most people didn’t have jobs). If the demographics on the estates are the same today as in the 70s/80s (and I suspect they’re even worse), I’m pretty sure nobody would have cared in the slightest about COVID. It was much the same in Elbonia - people followed the rules when they were being watched, but the majority had far more important things to worry about. It was only the idle rich who fretted about masks and vaccines.

2 Likes