Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

Maybe just ‘normal childhood’?

Shshshsh. You’re not allowed to say things like that these days.

1 Like

Kids wearing masks is the new normal and people feel righteous about this.

It’s a sorry state of affairs.

Not just the masks. All the stuff we did to kids is so horrible I try not to think about it, because I know there’s nothing I can do to stop it. I just hope people snap out of it before it goes too far - I can see a few signs of that happening, but we can’t undo what’s already been done.

1 Like

Just noticed this on Jessica Rose’s substack. I’m not sure if “it’s not COVID” is a valid topic here, but it’s related to COVID in the sense that COVID is (apparently) the most important cause of death on the planet, despite that fact that something mysterious is killing more people:

And here’s the source data. I checked and she’s right.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/leading-causes-of-death

Something that kills people at a rate higher than COVID, and comparable to heart disease and cancer, you would think might draw the attention of the authorities. Granted, it’s a catch-all category - it’s not a single “unknown” syndrome - but wouldn’t it be kinda important to find out why the deaths in this category have suddenly skyrocketed? Just a soupçon of curiosity from the MSM or the gubmint?

Cross cultural differences on covid.

3 Likes

Good article. Thank you for linking it!

Guy

Amazing. They are still saying this "the potential for so-called ‘rebound’ COVID positivity observed in a small percentage of patients treated with PAXLOVID, "

wut

Guy

Everything is safe and effective, even when it’s not.

Realistically though, if he doesn’t have any signs of illness, it’s probably an issue with the tests, not Paxlovid.

Not really. Many people are asymptomatic after all. Also I don’t believe what they said in the article as in Biden was only given an antigen test. He’s the Prez of the USA.

Those tests are pretty dodgy. We’ve had people on fm reporting that they test negative one day and then positive the next. This seems to be a fairly common experience.

What I meant was that if he’s not visibly ill, then does anybody really care? 30 years ago these tests that we’re using would have been technically impossible, and if someone was “asymptomatic” then we assumed that there was nothing wrong with them. I think we’ve become far too obsessed with this idea that “testing positive” is the only clinical marker we should be paying attention to.

He’s the Prez of the USA. His health is a matter of national importance. Not to mention it’s a career killer for a lot of people if it turned out that he had Covid, and something serious eventually came out of it. “He looked fine” is not a good excuse.

Jha said: ‘When people have rebound, they don’t end up in the hospital. They don’t end up particularly sick.’

Fuck me, the script is exactly the same as the vaccines.

It stops the virus dead.

A few rare cases have rebound infections.

Ok, we have a shit load of rebound infections but they aren’t really sick

2 Likes

Conclusion: no matter what, buy Pfizer’s stock. “V2 of Paxlovid will work, trust us!!! … And if it doesn’t there’s always V3, V4, V5, etc”

1 Like

People are probably testing positive for insurance… it was kinda a foolish policy to offer in hindsight.

1 Like

It was foolish without hindsight. What did they think would happen?

2 Likes

It was a foolish policy with the benefit of hindsight. However, at the time the policy was made vaccines were touted as cures for Covid. So, if a country managed to keep Covid out until vaccines were developed then the insurers were on to a winner. Governments kept saying that we just had to live with border controls, social distancing and contact tracing for a bit longer - until the vaccines arrived. The insurers believed this.

Of course the insurers look incredibly foolish now.

4 Likes

They shouldn’t be listening to the government, they should have their own scientist or whatever who makes a risk assessment and decide if the policy was a good idea. Obviously someone didn’t listen if they had one.