Coronavirus Open Thread 2022

They should have done their own research on YouTube.

Not sure how you can say that, because the (never tabled) science backing the actions of governments all around the world has so far been a resounding success. Safe and effective!!

I’m surprised insurers would trust the government/agencies. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t today.

There are a few stories (rarely in the mainstream media) in the US of how insurers are paying out massive amounts on deaths without the identifiable cause, a once in a 200+ year event.

When COVID broke out, the insurers in my country did what the love to do, found highly paid people to deny as many travel-related claims as they possibly could, making it a misery of an extended process that almost had to be legal action to get them to pay out. For me, it was a six month process that ended on the last day before it would have gone to government review and arbitration before they paid out. They’d rejected my claim three times. Many just took what they said as the final decision though, which is why they pay those assessors so much money.

1 Like

Who were the idiots who claimed that Covid vaccines would cure you of Covid?

Many, if not most, claimed it would stop you getting it and transmitting it, leading to ‘heard immunity’. Even recently you have to be triple jabbed to go to a gym? Why’s that? So that in case you get it, you don’t have as severe symptoms?

And, haven’t they claimed Paxlovid is the cure for it?

2 Likes

That may be what some heard, but the most vocal proponents of this view—at least in my earshot—were the ones touting mass infection as a supposed way out. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

This is the Covid vaccination consent form for the state of New York. https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2022/07/covid19_immunization_screening_and_consent_form_7.1.22.pdf. The form’s just been updated about a month ago?

Anyway, at the bottom of page 2, you can clearly read “The Covid vaccine by Pfizer … is an FDA-approved … to prevent COVID-19 in persons 16 years of age and older”

2 Likes

It’s one anti-viral in the current treatment arsenal. So far it doesn’t look like it’s being used in an optimal way, with all the high-profile rebounds. It’s also possible (likely?) that a better anti-viral treatment will emerge.

Guy

That wasn’t what we were proposing. How on earth would you even generate “mass infection”? Is there a special drug that makes it happen?

Oh, wait, there is! If you inject everyone within a brief period with a substance that causes ADE, you get mass infection. You also cause changes in people’s immune systems so that they’re less able to deal with future variants, and you disrupt the natural evolutionary direction of the virus so that it’s more likely to work around the drug that you administered. Clever, eh?

Of course it won’t. Three or four effective treatments were in routine use sometime in 2020. Anything that looked like it worked was pulled from pharmacy shelves and doctors were warned they’d lose their license if they prescribed any of them, at least in the US. In other countries there was a propaganda campaign against them. The authorities even managed to plant an entirely fabricated paper in the Lancet. What on earth makes you think they have any intention at all to prevent or cure COVID?

Insurers in other countries are now facing payouts for a completely mysterious uptick in non-COVID deaths. Nobody knows what it is. It’s a complete mystery! I wonder if Taiwan’s insurers are simultaneously facing a similar problem, but as in other countries, would be best advised to keep quiet about it if they want a taxpayer bailout?

5 Likes

I see someone hasn’t fallen into the soft loving embrace of pharma yet. There’s a pill for that, Finley.

3 Likes

But no health authorities in Taiwan ever claimed that vaccines would cure you of Covid.

1 Like

Absolutely. The health authorities in Taiwan have, at least since 2021, not spoken of vaccines as a singular way out. They consistently spoke of them as part of a range of strategies, including wearing masks.

As I type this, it occurs to me that those hollering on this site against mask wearing have not really been paying close attention (or perhaps any attention) to what the authorities in Taiwan have been saying.

Guy

3 Likes

Ahh…so they ignore facts.

1 Like

. . . aaaaaand we have yet another example!

Guy

They’ve made several claims for vaccines. However it is broadly true that they avoid doing so, instead preferring to rely on force of law or psychological sleight of hand to get people to comply with pointless and/or dangerous rituals.

2 Likes

This was the constant drum beat from public health and government officials. Even after this line was memory-holed by the media and our big tech overlords, the US venal house-plant-in-Chief repeated the line in a CNN town hall last year. Even the media and democrats (but I repeat myself) had to call him out on this, but they did so while conveniently forgetting that this was the common argument from most up until a few months before he made that comment.

2 Likes

All anyone ever told me the four times I got jabbed with the Pfizer vaccine was that it would reduce my chances of getting infected and if I did get infected it would reduce my chances of serious illness. Nobody ever told me it would provide absolute protection. That was good enough for me.

4 Likes

Can you point me to where the Taiwan officials have stated that in real world situations no study has concluded that masks help prevent the spread of any post alpha variants?

Somebody is listening. Kudos to you.

Others are apparently obsessed with the US even as they post in the Taiwan thread.

Guy

What the frontline people tell you, who are giving the shots (and they are mostly nice and know the real story), is not generally what the governments are telling everyone. No need to put up videos of politicians on both sides talking about vaccines and the miracles they will perform.

1 Like

I think we probably DO need to put up videos. Nobody will take any notice, but it’s important to prevent the truth being memory-holed.

3 Likes