Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

It’s an extremely sensitive test , we usually don’t use such sensitive tests for population wide screening for the reason you mentioned .

Indeed. But because pandemic, it’s OK to use these tests in a completely inappropriate manner, with nobody in charge who understands enough math to realise why the results should not be taken as gospel truth.

I’m not sure what the workaround is, but if someone could just explain to our Dear Leaders how this stuff works, in simple language, it’d probably make life easier for all concerned.

Here in Elbonia there’s always some golem in a uniform pointing a PIR temperature-measurement thingy at your head. Few weeks back, one of them was making dozens of people queue up outside a store because everyone was reading 38, 39’C. It didn’t occur to him that maybe the gadget was broken, or needed new batteries. If the computer says you’re 39’C, dammit, you’re 39’C! Nevermind that people with a 39’C fever don’t generally go shopping.

4 Likes

I seem to remember reading the UK is 45 cycles.
Going off those results, the goons in power have given us pointless lockdowns, excess deaths, etc. Total farce.

Covid-19: politicisation, “corruption,” and suppression of science

When good science is suppressed by the medical-political complex, people die

Politicians and governments are suppressing science. They do so in the public interest, they say, to accelerate availability of diagnostics and treatments. They do so to support innovation, to bring products to market at unprecedented speed. Both of these reasons are partly plausible; the greatest deceptions are founded in a grain of truth. But the underlying behaviour is troubling.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425

2 Likes
2 Likes

And in the BMJ, too.

What I find shocking about all this is not the scale and reach of corruption, or even the fact that it exists (when most people think it doesn’t) in democratic countries. It doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that COVID19-related corruption in failed states is completely overt, with no attempt to hide power grabs, theft, and blatant profiteering. What upsets me is the general acceptance of it all, in the name of “the public good”, and the level of actual fear that TPTB have successfully cultivated in people’s heads.

1 Like
3 Likes

The fact that I needed to demonstrate, in Taipei City, that I was immunized for measles and mumps (so far so good) and rubella (which I was not). Needed the shot to get the card.

Is that clear enough?

Guy

2 Likes

I didn’t have to show any record or get any shots. I that clear enough?

If not, go to National Immigration Agency, R.O.C. (Taiwan) - Instructions on Document Submission by Foreigners Applying for Permanent Residency , perhaps they didn’t like the cut of your jib.

Meanwhile in Africa:

Guy

More than dead British soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan combined.

If he actually contracts it again it would be such an epic flop.

“Multiple sources now estimate that over 650 health and social care workers have now died of COVID-19.”

The NHS employs roughly 3 million people (seriously, 1 in 10 of the total employed British population works for the NHS). So 650 is 0.02%. That’s a pretty small number considering many of them are disgracefully unhealthy and are in people’s faces 24-7.

However I think they should be permitted the option to take furlough the same as anybody else. It seems many of them are working because they’re given no other choice.

But it is twice higher than the years before, which is just awful.

1 Like

Well yeah. But surely the point is, do they have a higher probability of dying compared to the general population? There have been CV19 50,000 deaths to date in the UK; that is, CV19 has (supposedly) claimed the lives of 0.07%.

So I’d say the NHS workers are doing better than most. Of course, many of those 0.07% were in Death’s waiting room already, so it’s not entirely a fair comparison.

Excess deaths in the UK are currently around a bad flu season.

I feel like this is incredibly misleading rhetoric. Excess deaths in countries where covid is raging might not be significantly higher than in a normal year, but that is taking into account that most of the population have significantly reduced social contact, there’s less traffic, less crime, less other forms of respiratory diseases etc…

So sure, excess deaths are not remarkably high in relation to a normal year, but that’s because a lot of risky, every day behaviours have also been avoided this year. If everything was business as usual the virus would have killed way more people.

1 Like

If people wore blindfolds when crossing the road traffic fatalities would be higher. Of course restrictions on social contact have reduced death from a variety of causes to a relatively average level.

One could argue that various forms of social distancing should be permanently in place as they reduce death.

Some more good news

3 Likes

There are anti-lockdown protests going on in some cities. You wouldn’t think so with the way the media don’t report it:

It was reported by the daily heil and local rags. A bunch of dim witted morons moaning isn’t going to make the front pages on the news.

1 Like