Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Have you mentioned this to your legislator friend?

No, but I called Pfizer to ask them to send the ones Israel failed to pay for to here. Even offered to get them in touch with an MP.

I promise. 9/10 doctors think I’m perfectly sane.

4 Likes

I agree about managing the risks with the vaccines, but as the mRNA vaccines are more effective surely give those to the most at risk (the elderly).

I think the latest conclusion was that there was “virtually” no risk of spreading it to others if you were vaccinated. Especially if you’re wearing a mask…which I see significantly less of lately, despite allergy season being underway

I wonder at what point once vaccinations are happening Taiwan will let the mask drop so to speak. I mean they can’t wear them forever, can they?

You are missing the point that in Taiwan there is virtually no covid risk. A comparison from the UK where this is entirely different is therefore rather meaningless

For those who want/need the vaccine to travel and see loved ones, most hospitals in Taiwan are starting their registration for these self-pay vaccines (Astrazeneca) from Monday. A handful may already be accepting appointments. It’s probably first come first served. I guess if the uptake is still slow on the second batch that you may get access to that one if this one is over subscribed.

1 Like

I’m sitting in a coffeeshop with no mask on. It’s not a big ask really in terms of dampening down infection risk on the MRT etc. When is a good question though. Maybe a year to year and a half later when the entire population has been vaccinated?

Jesus. That’s quite a long time. Fair enough on the MRT mind.

Since we are without community transmission. We have the luxury of choosing.

1 Like

Lots of breakthrough infections being reported, so probably lots of people are still able to spread it.

Now the other vaccines are showing similar clot risks, and we’ll probably need yearly boosters.

I’ve noticed mask wearing has dropped considerably already, at least in the areas of Taoyuan that I frequent. I’d say a good 40% of the students at a junior high I teach at weren’t wearing masks yesterday, and the teachers didn’t seem to care. Just a couple of weeks ago every student was wearing one.

I’ve caught myself doing the chin diaper a few times this week. Yesterday I got strict with the kiddos and went back to being vigilant myself.

Seems like a little well-contained covid mishap needs to happen again to shake people up and ensure that no big covid mishap with a huge public spread happens. Things tend to go well… until they do not.

1 Like

Yeah nah. I really don’t think 450 days into this it’s the masks that are keeping us alive and kicking…not in terms of kids just walking down the street, no way.

1 Like

“Two shipments of AstraZeneca vaccines expire on May 31 and June 15.”

Than they should move one quickly and call me.

2 Likes

You need to book yourself.

1 Like

Is it just for if you plan to travel?

Like, I’m not planning on heading home anytime soon. But if the vaccines are there to be paid for, I will happily pay for AZ and get it over and done with.

If there’s a bunch due to expire, then they might as well stick it in my arm, even if I’m not gonna be heading home until end of the year time.

1 Like

You are supposed to have a reason to justify it such as requirement to visit overseas for important reason. Not all of them may require this story.

CECC said they won’t verify your travel plans. There isn’t even a guideline on when travel must occur. You just have to tell them (probably check some box on some form) you plan to travel to visit family to make your appointment.

I would sign up if I were you. There’s no ethical dilemma because these vaccines are going to waste. I would do it if I didn’t already have plans to return to a country with readily available Pfizer and Moderna.

1 Like