Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I was quite disappointed to see the “proof of vaccination” card my family got in the States, as I noticed it could very, very easily be counterfeited. I thought, “Well, how is a government or airline supposed to verify the validity of these vaccination cards, when they’re so easy to fake?”

1 Like

The pilot and a flight attendant that also ended up testing positive both went to the bar together.

3 Likes

Should be jail time.

I fine might deter some phillipino on 20k TWD a month, but itll do nothing to stop the rich tossers.

Give him 5 years hard time. Make an example.

4 Likes

If breaking quarantine is up to 1million, what’s this nonsense of maximum 150k?

Wasn’t another guy fined quite high just for opening the quarantine room door for 8 seconds?

They should fine him at least half of the maximum of quarantine break fine , which would be 500k.

What he did is criminal according to the new regulation Taiwan has announced since December 1st.

Was the guy who opened the door during quarantine Taiwanese? Anyone remembers?

150k… what a joke for intentionally putting everyone in the plane in danger when he already knew he had the virus. It is even worse than a quarantine breaker who supposedly does not have a confirmation they got the virus.

5 Likes

Naughty naughty, and all at the same time the cases were showing up.

The timelines don’t really make sense:

She tested negative for COVID-19 before checking out of the hotel on April 28.

However, after a Novotel manager was confirmed with the disease on April 29, the flight attendant was taken to a government quarantine center that evening. A COVID-19 test she took the next day came back negative.

Was it an afternoon session on the 29th?

3 Likes

Your assumptions are not really correct. The pilots can fly again any time, they just should NOT be allowed to go outside their quarantine hotel in Taiwan, visit bars, entertain flight attendants etc. unless they have completed their appropriate time of quarantine. So the number impact is significantly smaller and well worth the effort to keep everybody safe

5 Likes

What? So they should just keep flying continuously until the pandemic is over?

Pilots need recovery time (unless short hall, when a quick turnaround is possible), they need to exercise. They don’t get that locked up in a hotel room.

As for flights, taoyuan has 37 scheduled tomorrow, that doesn’t include cargo.

1 Like

This is sadly the truth. Cabin fever pilots, exhausted pilots, depressed pilots, tired pilots are probably going to make more mistakes and cost lives in the air.

Oh boo hoo. Pilot no get exercise. Cry me a river. This is a once-in-a-century pandemic. We all have to make sacrifices. Pilot Jim can do sit-ups and push ups in his hotel room while he watches HBO.

7 Likes

It’s probably worth accounting for though, if we want to have cargo and mail and flights in and out. You can’t really expect them to work or be indoors for 100% of the time, indefinitely with no end in sight. I don’t think they should be allowed to freely mingle with the wider community after a nominal mini-quarantine, though, and I think vaccination should be required for anyone wanting to avoid the normal quarantine requirements.

Maybe the airlines could get together and dump them all in a resort near Taoyuan. With blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the resort and the blackjack.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Poor pilot needs to get exercise? Do it in the fecking hotel room. It’s not like they’re earning minimum wage. Suck it up.

3 Likes

. . . then the hookers go home, see their families, infect them, who then visit Thai eateries in Gongguan . . .

I think you get the picture. :upside_down_face:

Guy

People working on oil platforms work one month on, one month off. Easily something similar could be set up for pilots.

Oh, and soldiers in war actually do not have any time off whatsoever. And somehow they also still get things done…

8 Likes

Oopsie

So maybe he was a bit overconfident after just one shot. EDIT: I mean, by going to the bar on the 29th.

He was in the US until the April 18. Finished his brief quarantine on the 21st and had the shot on the 22nd. He started showing symptoms on May 1st.

1 Like

Didn’t have time to develop immunity.

6 Likes

And pilots in HK and Australia also quarantine for 14 days without civil war or widespread starvation breaking out there

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hongkong-airlines/hong-kong-poised-to-require-two-week-quarantine-for-flight-crew-scmp-idUSKBN29Q12N

4 Likes

My wife is using this as proof AZ doesn’t work, and I had to explain how you need two shots for it to be fully effective. And even then there’s still “breakout” infections, since it’s only around 90% effective. People here, influenced by the sensationalist media, really don’t get nuance. Not everything is absolute or black and white.

11 Likes

Which is why it is important to keep up far away from people, wash hands, wear masks, etc.

3 Likes

Even the claimed efficacy of AZ under ideal phase 3 conditions is actually only in the 70s anyway, so way below 90%, and real-life efficiency is moreover usually lower than phase 3 efficacy

And I was reading that maybe Pfizer would need 3 shoots…but it is not certain yet.

Remind your wife hepatitis is also 2 shots. Tell her to look at the kids’ vaccination booklet, there are several shots for some. Tell her it is logical a vaccine is not magically going to work immediately and with just half strength. It would be like removing two wheels off a car.

Got an acquaintance in the US that reported catching the bug 2 days before his second shot. Not AZ.