Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

The increase seems pretty moderate though - the paper seems to show that the exhaled particle concentration only increases by a factor of around two between the thinnest youngest people (lowest BMI-years) and fattest oldest people (highest BMI-years). So probably wouldn’t overstate the correlation.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s correct. The shortness of breath is presumably due to the greater demand for oxygen, not because they’re inhaling/exhaling less.

1 Like

Mouth breathers, lol

How about infected 'farts?

where do you see that factor of 2? the graphic you linked would rather take a factor of 4-5, with the red line going from about 200 to around 800-1000 (hard to tell).

If the factor is 4-5 that would make a huge change. Herd immunity then could mean vaccinate all people at risk, and then 50% of the rest of the adults, and we should easily be there. No need to vaccinate children and young and fit people to stop covid19. Well except if the virus due to vaccinated people becomes more aggressive…

I’m referring to the black line, which covers the vast majority of subjects.

Sure, if you only consider the red line, with a far smaller number of data points and a couple of apparent outliers, the increase is a bit higher.

But the black line is the exhale amount of non suoerspreaders. The red line the correlation for superspreaders I guess. So I’m not sure do you just consider the distance between the lines, or the red line. Looking at the black line alone is not the risk increase!

So if you get all the old, above 60, and additionally all obese of every age people vaccinated, you likely already reach herd immunity!!!

So by vaccinating maybe 40 percent, meaning old or obese you reach the goal.

Sure, and in Indonesia there are even less fat people and the virus is rampant there

1 Like

And nor is looking at the red line alone. The point is you need to look at all subjects to make statements like old and obese people are superspreaders, not just take the minority of 20-30 patients who exhaled an abnormally high concentration and try to draw a correlation from those. The reality is something like a weighted average of the two lines, which would be way closer to the black line because it contains ca. 80% of the subjects.

1 Like

The CDC is finally listening to me…

Presumably and hopefully they will also be fired…

4 Likes

I always see lots of fat people in Indonesia :grin:

1 Like

If they were working for EVA, they’d be gone.

With China Airlines, who knows.

Guy

So who wants to guess today’s numbers before the 2pm report. I hope ZERO.

I’m shocked it’s not the Philippines. That can’t be right. There’s so many obese Filipinos.

I don’t believe that report personally.SE Asia is full of obese people on a different level than Taiwan.

1 Like

Whoah that article is … interesting, shall I say? Lots of talk about exercise to lose weight and not even a mention of diet.

The large number of skinny people presumably balance things out. A bit like India. The middle classes all have central obesity. The poor look like rakes.

1 Like

Today’s updated report (Chinese) on the imported cases (12)

and local case ( hotel engineering department staff)

1 Like