Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I thought they mentioned it’s free if you have symptoms or in risk area?

1 Like

Another of Taiwan’s biggest mistakes. Charging such a high amount.

I earn a decent wage here — around 70,000 a month. And 7,000 would be a significant bite out that. So I can only image how much it would hit 7-11 workers on like 30,000 or migrant maids and carers on 20 thousand.

If price was lower, there’s a chance that those who got a mild symptom would have gone and gotten tested and nipped it in the bud, rather than wait until they get a major symptom.

I don’t blame anyone for not getting tested at that price when it’s more than many people can’t afford.

3 Likes

Do you think part of it is the perception we got the ‘crap vaccine’. That and the president was too scared to take it?

2 Likes

I think there’s some truth to that.

Wonder why a private lab isn’t coming out with testing at say $500

Interesting, but your cells may ping on towers in the area if you even pass nearby. Maybe the NHI links you to people in or around the area by family connections. Or because your phone has been in the proximity of people (family or neighbors) who have spent time in the area. That last seems like too wide a net, though.

Not even that. Before today you couldn’t get tested even if you wanted and had the money for it. I had 2 friends with all symptoms and fever and went to hospitals 4 times the doctors would brush it off as something else and never test them. Eventually they were hospitalized and still never tested. It was not only a money issue, but the system to not test. Now things are changing.

2 Likes

The president not taking was a bad idea. Very bad example. I like her and that was not smart. Because of that many people think even Minister Chen got a fake vaccine on TV, because if the president herself didn’t have courage to take the jab, why would he? That’s most people argument. From simple store vendors to doctors I talk to. :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

Don’t really care what it’s for. Instilling a neurosis into the general public is borderline criminal. The UK government did this too (various internal memos have now been leaked) and then ended up regretting it. “The end justifies the means” is, and always has been, wrong.

And how is this a problem? Under these circumstances, people should be told the truth, ie., if they are among the at-risk demographic then they are strongly advised to get vaccinated. But the decision is, and should be, their own.

Taiwanese lawmakers, and society at large, seem to be (still) on-board with the idea that the government cannot compel vaccination. If they really need people signing up faster, then as @The_Ghost mentioned, they could do a lot worse than streamline the process a bit. People are busy. They don’t have time for the bureaucratic nonsense that’s currently involved.

Anyway, your assertion can’t possibly be true, for the simple reason that there aren’t enough vaccines to go around. The demand for vaccines outstrips supply (or rate of supply - hard to tell).

The president didn’t take it? Every president got it. What was her excuse?
AZ is about the only one I’m not at all worried to take. I’m sure the ones that work with mRNA are fine, but I’m old-fashioned.

1 Like

Cellphone ping is possible, I did shop at Carrefour on Wednesday. It wasn’t family or personal connections, just me and SO in Taiwan, SO didn’t get the text.

1 Like

She wants to take the Taiwan made one.

2 Likes

unfortunately, too little too late. Taiwan should have used the year of calm to get ready—produced tests, got vaccines, planned the vaccine rollout …

They apparently haven’t even organized what’s gonna happen with each stage by modifying the rules from last year, given New Taipei’s mayor’s confusing comments.

Shambolic.

The track and trace is top drawer though, no doubt.

6 Likes

I’m sorry, what were you saying? I kind of tuned out after you said “tired cliche”. XD

1 Like

The President did not take it. Mayor Ko went to to ask how long she was willing to continually hide in the Presidential Office.

Touché

1 Like

29 :disappointed:

2 Likes

29 local cases

2 Likes

From Google translate:

The Central Epidemic Command Center announced today (14) that 29 new domestic confirmed cases of COVID-19 (Case 1263 to Case 1291, including 2 cases announced on the evening of May 13, including Case 1272 and Case 1273), are all based Nationality, 16 females and 13 males, aged between 10 and 70 years old; 4 of them were asymptomatic, and the other 25 had the onset of onset between May 2 and May 12.

The command center stated that the initial investigation of the correlation between new cases and previously confirmed cases was that 16 cases were related to the Tea House and its surroundings in Wanhua District, Taipei City; 5 cases were related to Case 1203 and related cases; 1 case was related to Yilan Entertainment Field cases are related; 7 cases have not been investigated yet.

3 Likes

Fuck fuck fuck.