Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Yeah. It’s not an APRC.

5 Likes

Gold Cards also have expiration dates.

APRC has no expiration date nor it depends on marriage/work.

1 Like

Same same except the APRC part.

Aren’t kids usually fine though

Usually. Although the UK strain is suspected to cause much more severe infections in children than Corona 1.0. And unfortunately the UK strain is what we have here. I really suggest anyone who thinks kids are immune read this WebMD article.

5 Likes

Who knows?

Sorry, I was selfishly thinking of ARC…which is why I wrote it. I get it’s not responsive to your issue.

1 Like

Please go make a new thread about this - it’s a good topic and could help a lot of people.

3 Likes

Interesting article about how the WHO (along the majority of the medical community) initially believed that COVID is only spread via droplets and not an airborne disease, but was subsequently proven wrong.

Takeaway: Washing hands is much less important than good ventilation! And keeping distance does not offer sufficient protection indoors.

7 Likes

I need some advice. My cram school is asking me to go in and teach online from inside the school. There will be no kids there but a bunch of staff, together in small rooms. Including staff who are traveling on the MRT to get there. I have said I don’t feel comfortable doing this and would be prefer to teach from my home.

My question is…if the school fire me because of this or I quit because I refuse to go in, will my ARC or work permit be revoked? And then will I have a time limit to find a way to fly back home? If I stay here and look for a new job, will my NHI be put on hold whilst I am unemployed. Apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong section

2 Likes

Probably best to start a new thread for this - otherwise your post might get lost in this thread quite easily, I think.

5 Likes

OK will do. Thanks

Who wants to go to Israel now? I thought they were all vaccinated anyway.

You enter 12/31/2099 for the expiration date even if you plan to live longer than that. It’s the same as the EasyWay app. If you scan your APRC and it reads properly (it read my name wrong but got the rest right), it should put that in automatically. I registered at the weekend and was approved on Monday.

Most of these people were probably infected before the outbreak became known, though I didn’t look at the date of the temple tour. But judge away, that’s what the internet is for.

That is Carrefour now, though they may not have changed all the signs yet.

Some people like religion. Some people are addicts and that’s annoying, but it’s the only Asian kitsch I don’t mind.

Someone else said that on another thread. Just curious, is it a big chain? I think employers don’t trust their employees to do their jobs properly from home. I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to prove I’m actually doing something during the hours I’m supposed to be doing something. The pandemic has made some western companies decide working from home is better for them. Taiwanese companies push back against their own people against their own interest. Maybe, maybe people wouldn’t do their jobs, but Taiwan is really going to fall behind if talented people can’t do a salaried job outside of an office. The best and most motivated coders, etc. will work independently for foreign companies with local companies an afterthought.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post reply to that many different people at once.

6 Likes

The internet certainly helps people to judge those who are judgemental.

Another sleepless night. If the numbers stay below 400 tomorrow, can we start to feel a little more optimistic? Having said that, I probably just jinxed it and it’ll be 600 something.

I think you just need to bear with it for a couple of weeks and wait and see - nothing much any of us can do about it at the moment.

The day-to-day variation of case numbers from the relatively low number (<10,000) of targeted (presumably) tests has limited predictive value, unfortunately, for the reasons mentioned above.

(I’d be more interested in the results of, say, rapid antigen tests for 1,000 or 10,000 random people passing through Taipei Main Station or living in a particular district, but that’s obviously not happening - the testing methodology in Taiwan is still really disappointing, IMO.)

5 Likes

Whadayawan me to do? Stay here and reply to everything as it comes? It would be weird to post ten individual replies in a row, so I group them. I can mix sarcasm, snark, and helpfulness. It’s my thing. As is useless late-night toasted posting. G’nite.

5 Likes

I don’t think he meant anything negative. We do prefer grouping replies in one post when possible!

3 Likes

I, for one, applaud your good old fashioned attention span!

1 Like