Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

No, we were bashing Trump.

1 Like

Seems like the backlog is still ~46000 cases. We’re still testing quite less, although yesterday seemed to be a high with 22k+ tests?

I don’t think Taiwan will have it as bad.

For one thing, we’re over a year in and the virus is better understood now.

For another, vaccine distribution has begun. Other countries had to wait nearly a year of the virus before vaccinations began.

On the downside, Taiwan’s vax rollout is an embarrassment. An absolute, disorganised shambles. Even 4 weeks after it started properly, it’s still close to two hours to get one done. What will it take for the government to cut the red tape and say, turn up, scan your ID/Insurance Card, get the jab and jog on. Rather than go through forms and faff and blood pressure tests.

14 Likes

ID cards…seems like a great way to exclude the ones that were originally spreading the virus all over the place.

Sad (like all of them), and perhaps scarier for many of us; apologies if this has already been posted upthread, but there are a lot of posts!:

冠狀啤酒

19 Likes

667 + 4 today. 13 deaths.
401 is today’s total without the backlog.

What is ‘Greater China’? Tibet and China? Because Taiwan is Taiwan.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, not really unexpected. The UK strain of COVID appears to be much more dangerous to younger people than the original COVID.

1 Like

Does anyone want Taiwanese street food? We need bubble tea and eat moar fried chicken!

I like Taiwanese street food…

2 Likes

The AIT director laid out the cold hard facts. But the guy’s supposed to be a diplomat, and that’s not what diplomats are supposed to do.

5 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Taiwan has the right to self determination

The world better understands the virus, but do the authorities in TW?

They’re going around fining people who are walking outside maskless with nobody around them while allowing workers to continue going into crowded offices.

Based on things like this, and my experience at a hospital last week (where I was told a man with a horrible cough was fine because they checked his temperature and it was normal), I question whether TW really gets how this thing spreads.

Edit: oh yeah the spraying of chemicals to “disinfect” the streets. Totally useless. Why are they doing that?

8 Likes

Unfortunately, it really feels like the recent developments around the world haven’t had much impression on the decision makers. Telling people to wash hands and spraying disinfectant everywhere is not effective strategy against COVID.

2 Likes

This should be controlled, not total lockdown. And people going to other people’s houses to play mahjong!

1 Like

We need soap in those Taiwanese public restrooms!

2 Likes

COVID: No record keeping! No contact tracing! Open, wet places! Wheeeeeww~

unfortunately, I see your point. Taiwan has been absolutely clueless as of late.

Just lots of little moments of idiocy that have led to this mess–3 day quarantine, not fining people, the lack of punishment for the airline, not bringing in full wfh, dallying before upgrading to level 3 …

Why offices haven’t been closed fully is ludicrous.

7 Likes