Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Taiwan is small but 23 million people puts
It on par with many countries

I donā€™t see a Level 4 lockdown drill as something that bad. It hopefully means a real one is coming, which is needed I think. In fact, Ko is the only one keeping it semi-real. With his sober analysis mixed with occasional panicked lapses into alarmism heā€™d fit in well at Forumosa!

8 Likes

But not on par with the USA as a whole.

Itā€™s scary that a guy who says he couldnā€™t ever imagine TW having 200-300 cases a day is the only person keeping it ā€œsemi-realā€.

2 Likes

I always try to stick to this rule actually!

1 Like

What happens in the lockdown drill? Are we actually restricted from going outside? Is it all day? If thatā€™s the case, this is short notice.

Is it a lockdown drill? sound to me like a lockdown day.

Maybe itā€™s a letā€™s test the watersā€¦

What if itā€™s a trick to get us all into lockdown!

JUST KIDDING

Australiaā€™s population is same as Taiwan. Crazy.

4 Likes

Many other governments did this to see how many laws they could break before the peasants stormed the castle with torches and pitchforks. To their complete surprise, they never did.

3 Likes

Man, thatā€™s brilliant!

That guy has certainly learned some things. But not the right things.

1 Like

Are we stating the obvious ?

Using a broad base of population may actually be more realistic than a smaller base

Of course Taiwan may differ due to particular circumstances and maybe dramatically

At this point we donā€™t know
I live in the USA we could use Californiaā€™s figures maybe that will narrow it down or what may be more pin point may be to use NYC as Taipei is like a smaller NYC

Things went south very quickly very badly in NYC so yes Taiwan could for a period be in deep shit

People were abandoning NYC to anywhere they could for awhile

If I wanted to be alarmist I would say on the bad end this could become total chaos for Taiwan

But I believe In not being alarmist and prefer to preach a message of staying calm and Taiwan will ride out the storm

It could get rough for awhile supermarkets cleaned out and panic rules the streets but really this is not the SARS virus it IS a SARS virus but itā€™s not as potent or anywhere close to the last one

So stay calm stay safe

I really meant during a covid crisis
My friend stubbed his toe and didnā€™t go to the hospital for months and now he had to have his toe amputated

WTH? What was the issue?

Dry gangrene from the infection
The doc said heā€™s lucky he didnā€™t have to lose his whole foot

Just pointing that the US situation is still worse than Taiwan in term of numbers.

This is the data https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html
I suggest you check where Taiwan (~2.9 cases per 100000) would sit if it were a US state in term of # of cases.
Above or below California?

You are ā€œpotentiallyā€ alarmist :slight_smile: .

Thanks for your encouragement, hopefully we can learn from the US and do a bit better.

2 Likes

Taipei Times article is much clearer. I canā€™t find mention of it in Chinese language news. It seems to be just a practice run for those in certain positions and not something that will involve most of the public.

3 Likes

Taiwan is just starting its covid event

The USA has come through more than a year and more than a year without a vaccine

We started our crisis letā€™s say March 2020 with the initial lockdown starting in the bay area the infection supposedly started spreading in nov 2019

We started getting the vaccine in large numbers in March /April

We have more of a history of infections and itā€™s various effects on the populace and the economy

Taiwan is just starting to enter its covid typhoon
At this stage we donā€™t know how things will go

In taiwan

If I was the President of Taiwan I would plan for the worst and hope for the best

While realizing HOPE is not a strategy

1 Like