Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

3 Likes

aww man… all this math is so confusing. X times Y times weeks in a month, times cases, times beer runs… ohhh forgeduhaboutit

1 Like

If that happens, the sheet will really hit the fan.
People will truly go bonkers.
At least in the U.S., people could go out anytime during the day and walk around (with masks on), and go cycling, running, even shopping.
As I mentioned before, this initial level-3 lockdown is at end of second week, and governments have still NOT gotten supermarkets to maybe offer special hours ONLY for the elderly or their caretakers.
There are some decent examples of how the U.S. did handle the situation (at the local level) during 2020.
It’s like no one in any Taiwan gov’t (city or central) bureau are considering using ideas practiced in the states or elsewhere that will not turn citizens into jail-cell inmates for days at a time.
And then they only have news to watch to depress them even further about the hell they are living through.
Tell all your local friends to not watch the local news. It’ll be a sheet-show of armageddon this/armageddon that.

This would be like a medium Italy style lockdown from last year, which was in the middle between a soft USA lockdown and hard Wuhan lockdown.

The whole situation is upsetting, because basically the choice is … don’t lock down, more people will die… do lock down, more small businesses will die. And maybe it’ll all be in vain and the virus will come back anyway.

There is no good solution here.

People already semi locked down, all the usual crowded spots are essentially empty.

All they had to do is make WFH mandatory for those that can WFH. That would cut down a lot more commuting too.

1 Like

@Marco Waiting for your rant :upside_down_face:

Yes. And I agree with what that other guy said about special supermarket hours for the elderly.

1 Like

So basically martial law.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Taiwan realizes the danger I think and it is prepared to get serious

This is no joke

1 Like

Well according to Bill Gates there are possibly 500 million animal virus out there and one of more of them could kill
Us all but we hobble along doing the best we can

By the way too much arguing just leads to taking past each other

I think nobody knows as yet

1 Like

Take the number of death per day multiply that number times 100 and you can guess how many cases there were 3 weeks ago.

1 Like

Ok let me finish then.

It is not about 500 million virus that we don’t know, it is about one virus that we know is responsible for a lot of deaths, and that we know is mutating. It is still there, we cannot afford to assume that we are done with it.

1 Like

No we are most definitely not done with it

1 Like

I was thinking that too as I looked at the path on FlightRadar - Belarus came to mind. That said though, the EVA flight from Amsterdam with a similar Cargo did overfly the PRC.

1 Like

This is almost certainly all kinds of illegal. I hope Taiwanese people flout the rules until they run out of fine tickets … but I know they won’t. The groundwork was well-laid.

What Ko even intends to accomplish with this is anybody’s guess. Hopefully he’s not actually crazy enough to give the order.

It is a joke. It’s just not remotely funny.

Of course that isn’t the choice. That’s the choice that the public have been primed for, for reasons unknown. The virus won’t “come back”. It’ll just carry on doing its thing during the “lockdown”.

Yeah, there is. It’s just not being considered.

2 Likes

That’s an extremely simplistic take on CFR. There’s a lot of variables, such as how many elderly are being infected, how long the infection to deterioration stage is with some of the victims, how much the healthcare system is able to prevent fatalities and whether its ability to do so is being affected now that Taipei and NTC hospitals are being overwhelmed a bit, etc.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Post-covid syndrome

A common sense public health measure of getting people to stay home in a pandemic in order to prevent disease spread is not martial law. To bandy about such a term in light of the history in Taiwan and elsewhere is mortifying.

Merriam Webster Definition of martial law

1: the law applied in occupied territory by the military authority of the occupying power

2: the law administered by military forces that is invoked by a government in an emergency when the civilian law enforcement agencies are unable to maintain public order and safety

Wikipedia

Martial law can be used by governments to enforce their rule over the public, as seen in multiple countries listed below. Such incidents may occur after a coup d’état (Thailand in 2006 and 2014, and Egypt in 2013); when threatened by popular protest ( China, Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 ); to suppress political opposition (martial law in Poland in 1981); or to stabilize insurrections or perceived insurrections (Canada, the October Crisis of 1970).

1 Like

People posting here aren’t experts but imagine if we had to convene a meeting to come up with a policy to deal with this situation.

It’s easy to realize that the decision we come up with could be worse than what a policy coming from two to three people would have been. Of course, it does depend on who the two to three people would be.

We’re simply not that good at this kind of thing.