Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Mortifying? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think they’re being sarcastic.

1 Like

Hey, hey, hey. Though I agree that ‘martial law’ should be called ‘non-voluntary restriction of movement mandated by the gov’t, enforced by police’ and ‘lockdowns’ ‘home vacations’, I think that the use of the word ‘mortifying’ is particularly negative. What about ‘non-uplifting’ as a plusgood term we could agree on using?

1 Like

So my question is for practice simulation what will we notice that is different? Taiwan News seemed to indicate drill will include store closures, restrictions on residents leaving homes, etc. However as stated Taipei Times was clearer. When it is a military drill everyone gets off the streets for a period of time. What will it be like tomorrow? The English news did not seem to communicate this well.

2 Likes

None of it’s clear. Chinese-language press isn’t any better on this than what’s available in English.

I suspect they’re just making this stuff up as they go along.

OTOH it might be worth pointing out that a primary goal of psychological warfare is to keep the enemy guessing. To cause the maximum amount of fear and stress, make sure they have absolutely no idea what’s coming next.

:tinfoilhat:

1 Like

If you watch Ko’s pressers this is very obvious. He swings back and forth. One day he’ll be oh we’re all fucked, next day he’ll be, numbers clearly going down panic over. The drill is bullshit, ignore it completely, there is no legal basis for it. It’s just games for the boys.

I was just out hiking all on my lonesome and the trail passes over the Taipei New Taipei border. Laughably the New Taipei side was “shut”. Meaning, yellow tape across it. Like they think yellow tape is going to save the nation.

11 Likes

We seem almost back to normal in Ohio now if you are vaccinated. I was at the grocery store tonight and I was the only one with a mask on and I’ve been fully vaccinated for a month now. My wife who is Taiwanese and I are still wearing masks to the store since our kids aren’t vaccinated.

2 Likes

Good on you!

Hope you and your family stay safe and healthy.

Guy

So, will they, like, put back all those soldier shacks at bridges and other crossings between TC and NTC, like in the good 'ole days?
And allow those young whipper-snappers to have live ammo?

The virus will be hunted down with live ammunition and summarily executed :sunglasses:

Someone knows his Taiwan history.

Ah, the good old 1980s!

Guy

You don’t think the military will be out enforcing things?

A few charts/maps for your reference:

The situation in Xindian, down to the street level

Accumulated totals

1 Like

It would be so much better if they started not only showing the absolute numbers, but also displaying them as a ratio to population, e.g. cases per 100 000 population, as it is done in most other countries as well

4 Likes

So Banqiao has overtaken Zhonghe? I didn’t know that.

Banciao was always at the lead.

Okay, so there’s something else I didn’t know either. (Probably because Zhonghe is closer to me.)

Nice to see that up here on the north coast that Sanzhi and Shimen Districts still only have one reported case each.

HOWEVER!!! I’ve so far seen four cars from out of towners who have driven out to the countryside to come and hang out at a coffee shop which is still continuing to operate. Their main gate is closed, but you need to merely ring the doorbell and they unlock it for the customers to go on in and be served inside. Tesla, BMW, Benz, Nissan Tida.

You see? We’ll never beat this thing when people continue to violate the rules and put everyone at risk through this type of behavior.

2 Likes

Good luck to you in the $1M lottery drawing. (Although California has Ohio beat now)