Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Probably not, but the probability of somebody vaccinated passing on an infection is much higher than the risk of the vaccinated person himself or herself getting sick and dying anyway. I.e. vaccinations are generally much better at saving the vaccinated than at preventing the vaccinated from infecting others

It ends most problems. Deaths zero or thereabouts. Nothing to worry about.

Indeed. Don’t f&€&£ with the Wongs.

2-4 deaths per day in a country with a population of less than 100 000 seems pretty high by all standards. Would mean 500-1000 deaths per day in Taiwan.

Possibly, but I don’t think you can extrapolate like that. Anyway, it looks like 0-1 deaths per day on the charts. Numbers like that are just noise.

The fact is that real people aren’t dying.

Of course, if it turns out that the vaccines don’t work, then I guess it’s back to the drawing board.

6 Likes

Maybe. Depends what the average age of those deaths is.

This is one of those statements that people are going to call you out on, for good reason.

13 Likes

Well, you know, you’re just over-interpreting the statement and taking it too literally. What it really means is “The possibility is out there that the number of people who are dying is statistically not very significant.” But why use unnecessary wiffle-waffle like that? Everyone knows that in this sentence, “fact” doesn’t mean “fact”, “is” doesn’t mean “is”, “real people” doesn’t mean “real people”, and “dying” may or may not mean “dying.” You’ve just got to read properly!

4 Likes

Well this sounds even worse then if true.

Bloomberg reported that some people have waited up to 9 days for test results. How long does it take to enter numbers? I recall that they made the claim about data entry early on, like over a week ago, and that they said it was being resolved? If the backlogs have nothing to do with testing capacity and are just a product of slow entry of data, how long does it take to fix that?

1 Like

Vietnam are responding to their new variant by testing the entire population of Ho Chi Minh City.

4 Likes

I’m just repeating what Google tells me, and Google says that deaths have bobbled up and down around zero. One here. One there. EDIT: oh, I get it, you’re referring to ‘batched’ death reports, which are threes and fours at relatively wide intervals.

I doubt anybody here has access to better information. Or am I living in some sort of alternate reality?

My “real people” remark was in reference to Shui’s incautious scaling-up, with 500-1000 hypothetical people dying in Taiwan.

Oh FFS. That’s a valid and useful statement. Use those sorts of words. It’s not that hard. There’s a massive difference in meaning between “Google says that deaths have bobbled up and down around zero” and “The fact is that real people aren’t dying”. The first is a good sentence. The second is callous nonsense that makes everything else you say seem completely untrustworthy.

4 Likes

Why, oh why, does everyone has to jump down my throat as if I’m pedding tinfoil-hat fictions here? What’s wrong with just asking “what did you mean by that?”.

I do try to stay polite here. Really, I do. But the nastiness, sniping, and nitpicking is just pointless.

I already explained what I meant by “real people”.

Data from all over the world is making it clear that the Chinese vaccines are far less effective. The director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention even admitted this, and it probably why the Chinese have done deals to get Western vaccines.

To be fair though, it does appear that any vaccine is better than no vaccine in reducing severe illness and death. So while countries might have good reason not to let tourists who have been vaxxed with Chinese shit into their countries without testing, it’s not all bad news for the countries where the vaxxed people live.

The mRNA vaccines are proving to be very effective. You mentioned Israel. Here’s data from the US, where Pfizer and Moderna are the most widely used.

101 million fully vaxxed people as of April 30, 2021 and:

A total of 10,262 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine breakthrough infections had been reported from 46 U.S. states and territories as of April 30, 2021. Among these cases, 6,446 (63%) occurred in females, and the median patient age was 58 years (interquartile range = 40–74 years). Based on preliminary data, 2,725 (27%) vaccine breakthrough infections were asymptomatic, 995 (10%) patients were known to be hospitalized, and 160 (2%) patients died. Among the 995 hospitalized patients, 289 (29%) were asymptomatic or hospitalized for a reason unrelated to COVID-19. The median age of patients who died was 82 years (interquartile range = 71–89 years); 28 (18%) decedents were asymptomatic or died from a cause unrelated to COVID-19. Sequence data were available from 555 (5%) reported cases, 356 (64%) of which were identified as SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern,§ including B.1.1.7 (199; 56%), B.1.429 (88; 25%), B.1.427 (28; 8%), P.1 (28; 8%), and B.1.351 (13; 4%).

Only 10,000 odd breakthrough infections in 101 million people.

Of course not all breakthrough infections will be detected because many/most people won’t have symptoms. But there’s no doubt that the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines are stunningly effective, especially in younger people.

I’d surmise that the breakthrough infections are more likely occurring in people who are older and have health issues that prevent their immune systems from mounting a stronger response to the vaccines. In time it’s possible they’ll be able to identify these people and find ways to help them.

7 Likes

It was pretty obvious what you meant to me. People just want to be outraged sometimes. I’ve fallen victim to it myself with my anger over the government’s unwillingness
to accept any and all vaccines offered.

Even Sinovac is better than nothing.

3 Likes

Thanks. I appreciate that. Looking back at my comment I realise it wouldn’t necessarily have been clear to every reader what I meant; sometimes we write stuff briefly without considering the reader, and confusion results. I’m just tired of being screamed at every time someone doesn’t understand what I’ve written, either due to my mistake or their misunderstanding.

2 Likes

You’re a bit of a target, so you’re going to need to be precise with your language if you want to avoid posters picking your words apart.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You have to remember everybody is a bit wound up at the moment, with good reason. A statement like “The fact is that real people aren’t dying.” seems to deny the danger of the virus. I’m sure anyone on here who said that would be getting immediate pushback.

9 Likes