Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

I mean, surely even a portion of Taiwanese there would refuse and it would end up in the media…?

3 Likes

Yes, outpatient work is fine. Like if you set up 掛號 for dermatology or whatever.
This is for emergency room entrance.
Plus, there was no sign outside emergency saying something on the order if you enter you get a 7-day quarantine (not at home). Once COVID tests were taken (negative), then friend A was told of 7-day quarantine.

Hospital said that these mandates are happening randomly at the government-level and sent to hospitals without any public notice nor prior warning. Hospital does not know if media or newspapers or whatever have been informed of these new measures. Hospital just following what central government told them to do (within last week as COVID cases rise).

Again, believe what you want from the story. It happened nonetheless.

I don’t want to join the “I don’t believe you” group, but why didn’t your friend call the press? They’ve been having a field day about shipping potential contacts of COVID cases off to quarantine, yet there hasn’t been a peep about this.

Throwing people randomly into quarantine just for showing up at the hospital, especially during LNY and based on how you’re saying they were treated, would get a lot of attention.

Also, a LOT of Taiwanese people go to the ER over small coughs and very mild fevers (if it’s after hours), so that would lead to overcrowded hospitals within a day, as hospitals in TW are usually at 90% capacity. The people showing up at the ER just looking for a pack of sugar pills and antibiotics for what is probably a viral cold are far too many to send into quarantine. Add caretakers and the fact that they didn’t provide blankets or clean undies to the “visitors” and I’d say there must be more to this story than someone is letting on. If I see one news article corroborating the story, I will believe you.

7 Likes

A and B are not by chance residing in the PRC? - where such a scenario could be easily believed.

Or, maybe the story has been passed from A to C then D, E, F, G, and so on, with each adding some more spices with each glass of CNY “lemonade” that has been consumed.

I hope that A happened to have her phone charger in her bag, as she will be mighty upset when it runs out of battery and she is unable to check in to her favourite LINE or FB group for some more scuttlebutt.

Oh, and Happy New Year to you and your family.

3 Likes

Inpatient Vs outpatient, emergency room is still outpatient. Once your put in a bed to stay overnight your inpatient. With Taiwanese crazy now I do believe it can happen for all patients coming in with un identified diseases.
So not happening on broken leg, but any kind of maybe infectious disease symptoms.

It seems they want to stay zero covid, and overcrowded hospitals give them right that excuse…

1 Like

Piece from the Telegraph about lowish vaccine uptake in the elderly here, and the difficulties that poses for reopening.

The country’s overall vaccine rate is close to 74%, higher than the UK’s 71.8% and 63.9% in the US. This looks promising for the country’s reopening but the headline figure disguises a serious problem - many of its most vulnerable are not vaccinated.

Vaccination rates for one of the most vulnerable demographics, in a society that is hurtling towards the designation of “super-aged,” is hovering at an alarming 68%. The lower take-up contrasts starkly with 83% of fully vaccinated Americans over the age of 75. In the UK, 91.7% are already boosted.

Interesting little paragraph about how Korea is doing with rising cases but low hospital disruption:

Despite record daily infections topping 16,000 in nearby South Korea, a booster rate of 85% in the over-65s had prompted a drop in ICU occupancy, said Dr Jerome Kim, the director general of the International Vaccine Institute in Seoul.

3 Likes

It’s hard to say how effective the vaccination is with omicron for preventing illness. Lots of mixing up with Delta strain going on there. But yes, Taiwan has definitely vaccinated the wrong people most, tose at lowest risk. This is well known since many months.it became clear in September already (when most here in this forum where expecting 80 percent vaccination rate and I rightly said this won’t happen without a reopening schedule,or other incentives (another outbreak of course does the same))

Those most at risk have had ample opportunity to get vaccinated. Some have declined, and, sadly, they (and their families) might come to regret that later.

5 Likes

Yes of course, I am telling since a long time Taiwan should have announced an opening schedule, even with Delta around, and that the Zero covid still going in is absolutely the wrong path to follow.
Plus the crazy destroying of privacy going on. Feels like they take away your life without a mobile phone so they can take away any bit of your privacy. My phone is in 3G only mode in Taiwan for keeping some privacy. Thinking about ditching my Taiwanese SIM all together. Just rely on WiFi instead. Covid19 is just a pretext to achieve China like spying system.

2 Likes

Off topic, but the US’s overall vaccination rate is beyond pathetic. That’s what happens when you politicize vaccines, I guess.

4 Likes

This mindset encapsulates everything holding back Taiwan tbh.

1 Like

Time to use the stick to get the selfish vaccinated.

Vaccine Passports

Make it so they cant go anywhere or do anything. They’ll soon fall in line. Or even a full lockdown for the unvaxxed.

3 Likes

Yes, the supply of Carrots is diminishing, time to get out the Stick.

1 Like

Not everybody who is unvaccinated is being “selfish”. Some have very valid reasons. My first shot nearly killed me, for instance. I only got the second because I didn’t want to lose my job, which most certainly would have killed me.

12 Likes

It’s just a thought - and dismiss this as a conspiracy theory if you like - but intermittent and random punishment is a very effective compliance tool, particularly if it’s spread via rumour rather than open channels like the TV news.

I’m assuming that KHHVille’s story actually happened. If it did, the reason may be that the CECC doesn’t want people going to hospitals unless they have absolutely no other option. They know that (a) people turn up at the ER for no good reason, as they do in many countries and (b) there’s going to be a surge of COVID cases any day now. The threat of quarantine has very effectively avoided mass testing (a good thing IMO) and it may be that they’re intending to use the same tool to keep people away from the ER. If that’s the motive, it’s going to have a lot of serious consequences, but there haven’t been many governments to date who have cared about that.

Yup, it’s a great excuse to start hurting people, isn’t it. The mobs came out salivating at the prospect in lots of other countries, too, and they got their wish. What should we do to “them”, do you think? Keep them completely locked in their homes? Health Wardens in supermarkets so that they can’t buy anything nice? Weekly fines? It goes without saying that they’ll continue to refuse the more they’re harassed - because that’s what people do - so you’ll be able to do all kinds of horrible things by proxy. Won’t that be exciting?

Let’s see if Taiwan goes down the Austrian path. Ko would be up for it, I reckon. They mayors will probably egg each other on.

2 Likes

I doubt, what. 30 percent of the vulnerable people have valid reasons for declining the vaccine, though …

The vast majority it’s stubborness, laziness, stupidity or selfishness.

3 Likes

I still think they have some carrots up their sleeve . . .

We’ll see how much it helps further uptake.

Guy

Primarily I think it’s the information networks they access—or are subjected to.

Guy

2 Likes

I have an acquaintance who had a bad reaction to the first shot, he was at home but had to keep a (heart i think) monitor on.

He was weighing up if he should have the second shot, his wife told him he was having it. She said if the vaccine was bad, imagine how bad the active virus would be, also not to worry as his life insurance was up to date.

14 Likes