Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

So again…if you share a flat with your spouse and you don’t each have your own bathroom and separate bedroom, you will be carted off to QT against your wishes. That is what this says to me. How many people in Taipei actually can afford to have a two bedroom two bathroom flat in the city??

“Quarantine in quarantine facilities can take place if an assessment determines that home quarantine conditions are not suitable, which will be paid for by the government. This will follow the principle that any individual in quarantine requires a room and bathroom to themselves.”

1 Like

Of course things are spreading in the QT hotels. They apparently won’t let anyone open windows which means you have people confined in spaces with shared ventilation systems. This isn’t brain surgery to figure out. Jesus! I see Taiwan QT support threads on FB where people are testing negative until day 13 or 14 and then they get a positive PCR result, now where do you think that they caught it? Then these poor people get thrown for another ten days into some hospital where you can’t do anything at all. This makes it easier to blame on foreigners/outsiders of course. Plague rats indeed.

4 Likes

That’s why many of us live in the suburbs. Those are affordable.

1 Like

Well not everyone can do this. Some people feel that for mental health they need to live closer to work as a 1+ hour commute just will not do. This just seems really absurd.

1 Like

You’re doomed to be free.

Totally understood, but that’s the paradox.

This has got to be a joke, right?

Mental health? FFS!

1 Like

Not a joke. QOL issues are real and not everyone wants to own a car for personal reasons. But laugh away if that makes you feel better :wink:

Apparently not in Taiwan though from what I read on these threads! If you can’t afford a 5 bedroom/4bath mansion you get the facility!!

The public transport is second to none, but suburbs here are increasingly filling with people because taipei city is unaffordable for most.

You dont need a car, but there is a reason why high rises pop up around me like mushrooms in the rain. I live in the suburbs.

1 Like

yes, I’m sure that is annoying if you left the city to get away from that. Seems to be happening everywhere I guess.

Hope this situation does not happen to anyone here:

Story told to my Taiwanese wife by her Taiwanese friend (A) over the phone, as my wife called her up to wish her a happy Chinese New Year.

Friend A gets called by one of her friends (B), asking if A could accompany B to clinic, because B has hives all over her body and is having headaches, etc. A takes B to a clinic. Clinic says “we can’t handle this, go to hospital”. They go to hospital. Both enter emergency and get tested (negative for COVID; what B has is nothing related to COVID), but hospital has no available beds.

Then the monkey-wrench gets thrown in. New measures set up by Chen/CECC require anyone entering hospital (or already in a hospital, like visitors) to be quarantined for 7 days in the hospital no matter what (even as A tested negative for COVID). A doesn’t know the exact quarantine rule, but that’s the rule the hospital is abiding by and saying A and B must adhere to.

Worse, there are no beds in the hospital for new patients. So, A and B get “thrown” into an ambulance (A now has to follow B to wherever B ends up) and get driven with whirling lights and siren to another hospital in another county (hospital under same private group) where there are beds. A just gets one of those fold-up beds in the same room as B.

As anyone knows, hospitals are very cold. A asks desk for extra blanket for B (who requests it, because B has chills) and for A herself. Desk people say they cannot give blankets out to visitors (A). A rule under some mandate or whatever.

So, A is now freezing, because she could not go back to her apartment to get anything. She unfortunately only has her cell phone and the clothes on her back. She has been washing her underwear daily there.

All this for helping a friend in need, and even after A (and B) tested negative for COVID.

10 Likes

That’s crazy, is there corroboration of this from another source, that this is a national policy or that hospitals are acting like it is?

4 Likes

Well, the corroboration is from the pissed-off friend of my wife who’s been in a hospital with the same clothes for the last 5 or 6 days.
I overheard the conversation on the cell phone. The friend was rather livid to be treated as such.
Whether there’s corroboration in some news item or official mandate from CECC, well, don’t need one as friend A is the corroboration after having gone through this and handled this way by the 2 hospitals. She was told that this is official mandate from the government, not the hospital. Hospitals would not arbitrarily execute such mandates on their own.

maybe friend A is not being totally honest

1 Like

Yeah, whatever.

corroboration

Give it up. It happened. If you don’t believe it, that’s your right.

ok, and if other forumosans have heard of such a thing, through personal experience or from reporting, i would be interested to learn of it. this isn’t a direct refutation of what you have heard, @KHHville, it is a general call for corroboration (if there is any)

3 Likes

That part does seem difficult to believe. For any reason? Hospitals are still allowing outpatient appointments right?

1 Like