Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

Yeah, I can see that. As much as my spouse and I sometimes got annoyed about the unusual amount of time together, having each other around definitely helped.

I was super happy in late September to get back in the classroom and talk to real live faces again.

For cycling, cherry blossom season should be coming soon!

3 Likes

fitness factories Facebook posted it.

1 Like

I havenā€™t been in Taiwan the past few months but a friend of mine is in Taipei, unvaccinated, and wants to know how he can get a vaccine at the moment. Does he need to register on a website or just walk into a clinic somewhere?

1 Like

Moderna is available for walk-in vaccinations at Taipei Main Stationā€™s ground floor concourse daily from 1:00 pm to 8:00 pm. No appointment needed. Itā€™s free and he may also get a nice voucher for participating!

If your friend is not in the Taipei area, there are similar schemes in other major cities. Let me know if you need me to dig and find the details.

Guy

6 Likes

But thereā€™s next semester. I doubt thisā€™ll all be done and dusted over the winter vacation, though the CNY human wave attacks will likely speed things up a bit.

Just signed a contract for next semester after stalling for as long as I could to see how things looked. Now Iā€™m wondering if I could / should still bale. Moral dilemma.

1 Like

Yes, I read the statement from Chenā€™s office about this now. Glad I didnā€™t sell off the free weights I bought in May

3 Likes

gym is still open, no big deal.

So glad I was contracted by a really good school through the next semester.

1 Like

Best make hay while the sun shines!

3 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Etymology of ā€œbail/bale outā€

As much as I wish that you, dear bear, are right: currently we donā€™t know of any uncontrollable community spread.

Thatā€™s the problem always, and probably even more with Omicron: we only know after a week or two if we had community transmission and should have been more careful (restricted).

I do understand those of us who (absolutely correctly) say that many measures are absolute Overkill in times of ā€œno community transmissionā€. Yeah and some are plain stupid, like some outdoor related stuff . However, I do think that if Taiwan wants to keep its paradise-like super-low-risk status (compared to Europe or the Americas) a bit of countermeasures (masks, QR, vaccination - in L3 maybe dine in and other restrictions), as baseless as they might feel, affect life only little - yet help a bit in case that hindsight shows ā€œoops there was something that got outā€.

The worst case that could happen if the L2 measures really were overkill is that we had a bit less of a fun time (or if you want to include conspiracy theories: that some pharma companies got even richer). L3 affects many businesses, granted.

The worst case that could happen in the opposite case? Much worse, health and life related.

3 Likes

The worst that can happen is living in lockdown for months and still everyone getting infected instead of it being over in 4-5 weeks like in south Africa.

Its not possible to get immunity by vaccination, but it is likely that omicron gives you good immunity for omicron. So all the measures donā€™t help but slow down at the worst moment. Lockdown is maybe needed when hospitals overflow but then people will be tired from lockdown. It was clearly seen in Europe lockdown is only working shortly, people simply donā€™t care then anymore.

So reasonably after you see you cannot contain it, open up everything so people are motivated once you actually need to slow it down

Its the math, stupid. If everyone is gonna get it, then need to timed correctly.

2 Likes

Is that also for the booster?

The reports I have read have unfortunately not made that clear.

This would matter as the Moderna boosters are administered at half dose, so not interchangeable with doses one and two.

Guy

4 Likes

Donā€™t let go of the apartment!!! It is very hard to find a good place, heck, a semi decent place in the middle of this plague.

1 Like

I might try and report back in the booster thread. Thanks.

1 Like

FYI for people coming in, there is no more saliva test, itā€™s not a pcr on arrival.

Worst case is that the whole country catches a mild cold. That is the reality of Omicron now. The sooner we get it over and done with the better. Lockdowns will only cause prolonged misery economic woes for everyone.

2 Likes

No, thatā€™s not known yet.

6 Likes

How much more data do you need than the millions who are currently experiencing mild colds?

2 Likes