Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

People get tired from lockdown and wearing masks. Freaking people out now ehwrn they should just live happily and spread is the worst timing. Instead of getting through with it they prolong it.

I think it’s pretty clear that Taiwan’s CECC does not share your goal.

Guy

3 Likes

Sorta good news. As the ‘Chernobyl’ quote goes “not terrible, not great.” Depends if all these cases are traceable too. Probably means we can at least finish out this week.

some updated proceedures for airport arrivals

1 Like

Logical, I suppose, but one wonders exactly how long they’re going to keep up this “zero COVID but not really zero COVID” policy.

1 Like

Nope they do not. Notice how omicron is appearing in more and more cities. Its not Xian only anymore. Tianjin and others too.
You cannot live halfway normally and keep omicron at Zero. Omicron is the point where you have to switch from Pandemic to endemic, with the vaccinations not preventing infections. Actually if the vaccines would work (we never had Vaccines that worked well for the flu either) it would be the same.

It would need to be the whole world joining you in with zero covid. But that’s not possible anymore, as also animals are infected and passing it on back to humans (unlikely but it happens).

Its clear that right now is the time to give up zero covid and let it pass through for herd immunity

2 Likes

In a related article, I see that toasting individual tables banned. That’s it. I’m seriously pissed off now.

1 Like

Sensibility reigns supreme!

CDC Website must have tested positive and been put into isolation as they have not updated the Chinese version for yesterday, let alone today, BUT the English version regarding yesterdays 11+49 cases has been updated, but has no attachment showing details. Again, 30 imports from the USA are a large chunk of the imported cases.

You see that they made no exception for being at home? Haha that’s crazy. With sex being exercise are people a) supposed to not have sex anymore b) supposed to have sex with mask on…
Just for an obscure example. Maybe it’s the translation…

Yes, I wear my Garmin during.

6 Likes

Strava link, it’s for a friend.

3 Likes

How many times….there is no herd immunity for a mutating virus. Is there herd immunity for the flu? No. For Covid? No. Novak has had Covid three times already. (Just won his case against the Australian government)

3 Likes

Haha who knows if he had it again or not… Also it doesn’t matter how often you have it if it doesn’t cause you any problems. People have a cold also several times a year yet we accept that.

There will never be immunity as in you don’t infect yourself anymore, but there should be herd immunity as in for the normal flu. It will never disappear again, that’s also exactly why you have to give up zero covid at some point in time.

I’ve been more pro vaccination in the past for covid, that was before they decided boosters are needed for everyone. Because I assumed protection from serious illness sticks. I was absolutely sure from the start that protection from infection only keeps going for a very limited time, shorter than from actual infection.

1 Like

I will help out from todays report from CNA (audio too)

2 Likes

Cmon, Taiwan has decades of experience in “independent but not really independent” policy.

Zero COVID is a breeze.

Aha! I was right, 30 cases. I thought they were all in one day. Such a fine line between clever and stupid.

1 Like

You walk that line with such skill :wink:

1 Like

"Taiwan has not attempted this strategy before, as it seems they concluded that it’s really hard (or incredibly damaging) to shut down transport that cuts across individual localised districts. In short, it’s just not practical to implement, and anyways omicron will already be on its merry way.

Guy"

yes i know, but that’s what makes it an interesting theory / half measure that will make things worse as people try to vacate that district, yet its a plausible action (if somewhat incomprehensible) because less political fallout for a “few” days.

here cdc is discussing level 3 “not been ruled out” (what ever that is supposed to imply) for Taoyuan only, and there is also a discussing to extend that into new Taipei and Taipei somewhere else.

I could be wrong in my translation… so take it with a grain of salt.

That does not answer my question about what policies the government has enacted that you consider to be going nuts.

2 Likes