Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

It certainly may.

In this particular case the mask and temperature control made no difference. It seems

I agree that local governments will take drastic measures once cases spread. The publicā€™s stance is still largely ā€œZero-Covidā€.

1 Like

Until itā€™s not contained, I imagine.

4 Likes

Not so fast.

The temperature check, yes was not helpful.

The mask, however, may have reduced the transmission of viral load. That matters.

Guy

2 Likes

Larry Logic weighing in with a zinger :rofl:

2 Likes

I know.

Iā€™m dreading the lockdown again.

Doubly so because every day I will be thinking how unneeded it is.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not saying they donā€™t. But an outbreak could still begin with someone wearing a mask and following all the rules.

2 Likes

My dad was telling me yesterday that given current trends, next week may be a sharp increase in domestic cases. He thinks 100 domestic cases is likely. What are your thoughts?

2 Likes

How can it be ensured that only ā€˜milderā€™ Omicron spreads? We sure donā€™t want Delta in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Got me kicked out of a 7-11 :confused:

4 Likes

Even odds Iā€™d say by end of next week.

5, 8, 16, 24, 34, 60, 40, 80, 112

Sure, quite possible.

Omicron is becoming the worldā€™s most dominant form.

Delta, I agreeā€“donā€™t want that. But Omicron has overtook Delta everywhere. Its the most dominant variant in the US, so odds are, the travelers getting caught at the airport have Omicron rather than Delta.

1 Like

I think that if we get something like 80 domestic Omicron cases per day, local governments will start implementing lockdowns.

Iā€™m not even sure if fever is a common symptom these days, so yeah, I suspect those are dumb hygiene theatre.

But maybe without the mask itā€™d be twenty or thirty cases, not ā€œjustā€ three.

2 Likes

Has Taiwan still got the same tier system? Or has it been updated for Omicron?

There are some on the Taiwan subreddit (reddit.com/r/taiwan) who claim that itā€™s not close to a lockdown. However, the number of KNOWN clusters does not necessarily reflect the number of ACTUAL clusters.

1 Like

As far as I know, the tier system remains in place and the criteria has not been revised.

That needs urgently changing. Like, wonā€™t the tier only drop down if case numbers drop down to the level below?

Weā€™ll be waiting a year for that to happen with Omicron ā€¦

I really hope the government understands that Omicron is safe and there is zero need whatsoever to lockdown at all. Iā€™d feel much more confident if they said a statement ā€œno lockdownā€ but thereā€™s more chance of me shitting a golden nugget.

My employer has already cancelled this yearā€™s Weiya. It was originally scheduled for January 15. Iā€™m actually fine with the cancellation as I have a gut feeling my manager will terminate me at the end of this Chinese year (end of Jan. 2022).

2 Likes