Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

When? Where?

Does anyone know who is eligible? And how to apply?

1 Like

1500 NT$? Huh! What a relief.

It’s a relief when you’re 1500 short of buying a Tesla X

2 Likes

People who can afford to buy a Tesla X probably spend 1500 on lunch. :laughing:

the article says.

710,000 low and middle-income households and underprivileged people, who will have a monthly subsidy of NT$1,500 (US$49.88) remitted directly to their accounts

100,000 taxi and tourist coach drivers around the nation eligible for a monthly wage subsidy of NT$10,000

the 1 million self-employed workers who have joined the Labor Insurance Fund and have an insured monthly salary under NT$24,000, will receive a single one-time payment of NT$30,000

employers of pandemic-stricken businesses who are eligible for a government wage subsidy that makes up 40 percent of their monthly wage (and up to 20k per month for 3 months)

https://www.wda.gov.tw/cp.aspx?n=17C36B0EEE3BA5B8

5 Likes

News reports are indicating that sailors from the other 2 navy ships are showing fevers…we could be in for the big fun ride!

The medical staff on the first ship took fevers as a symptom of the common cold. It’s probably just a coincidence. Just give the crew members some antibiotics and send them on their way.

4 Likes

Weren’t they all tested?

Yes, reportedly. But data indicates that the tests give false negatives about 30% of the time.

Per the link:

In one scenario, the initial swab sample may not always collect enough genetic material to provide an accurate test. This problem may arise more often in patients who do not show many symptoms at the time of their test, the Globe reported. In addition, the standard nasopharyngeal swab, wherein a long instrument is wriggled and rotated to the very back of the nasal cavity, can be both difficult for clinicians to perform and uncomfortable for patients to endure, Krumholz wrote.

Alternatively, false-negative results may result from how tests are processed in the
laboratory or what specific chemicals are applied to each sample, Krumholz noted.

The part about “this problem may arise more often in patients who do not show many symptoms at the time of their test” is especially concerning given that there is data indicating 50% (or more) of those infected are asymptomatic.

1 Like

Sad I cant visit my son in Pingtung.
Thinking why not go and window shop after work but lazy to walk around so I just show the photo from web to store clerk to picked-up the one I want.

More sadness when I open his room.
I think I’m just being too much of a mom :sob:

6 Likes

Only son/child?
Do not worry. Sons typically have soft spot for their mom (if she was good to them :wink:).
Send him a small care package of his favorite treats.

After coworkers reported the woman had continued to work while experiencing symptoms of the disease, there were fears her actions might precipitate a major new cluster event in the heart of the country’s capital. Fortunately, Health Minister and Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) head Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) on Wednesday (April 22) announced that none of the 123 individuals who had recently come into contact with the woman tested positive for the disease.

Chen said the testing and monitoring period for both incidents have come to an end and the cases have been closed.

Which means that, conveniently, we still have no clue as to where Miss KTV got it and barring a stroke of luck, never will.

What’s interesting is that Miss KTV’s case was confirmed on April 8, just two weeks ago. Since Taiwan has such few cases, aggressive contact tracing to identify the source of infections should still be possible resource-wise. Yet after just two weeks, it’s “case closed.”

This stands in stark contrast to the aggressive contact tracing efforts seen in countries like Singapore, which have in numerous instances spent far longer trying to figure out unlinked cases.

2 Likes

1 Like

I tried watching the English broadcast. Awful, just absolutely awful.

Switched back to Mandarin for my sanity.

They need to hire some qualified American baseball broadcasters to make it worthwhile.

5 Likes

Key word here. What a circus.

From the report:
“We have many candidates. We have young people. The younger generation in Taiwan speaks good English here and some of them studied abroad in America or in Australia. So they can speak good English and we have those people who very interested, very crazy about baseball.”

Seems that they are missing an opportunity if they don’t want to hire native English speakers

4 Likes

Sounds like trump.

Guy

13 Likes

Taiwan has a friend in Cardinal Burke.

7 Likes