Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

A ‘coding’ program that mysteriously cannot be rectified even though groups have been campaigning about it for years ! Even with the new number format they seem to be deliberately creating obstacles.

9 Likes

It’s an example of the usual left over bureaucratic nonsense , the system needs a proper overhaul.

Yeah, in this case (with the APRC and the open work permit), it’s the old division between the National Immigration Agency/Ministry of the Interior (handling residence permits) and the Ministry of Labor.

Keep your eye on the ball, and don’t let these bureaucratic issues grind you down!

Guy

1 Like

This new development is pretty concerning to me. I am sending off my Work Permit + passport etc to TECO to get my special entry permit processed. Once I have that, I will be able to fly to Taiwan and hope to match my arrival time with a reservation for a quarantine hotel…as has been mention before, the standard covid test takes about 3 days - sometimes more - to get the results back. How will it be possible for me to get this form back before my flight date? At the very least, it will be cutting it waay too close. Perhaps the gov will accept a rapid COVID test result? Much more expensive, but it does circumvent the 3 day issue…

1 Like

Not sure about other ones, but the Airport in Frankfurt, Germany has announced that they will be offering PCR tests for COVID-19 at the airport. €140 to get the results in 3 hours and €60 for results within 8 hours (plus a fee for a „certificate“ if required).

I guess other airports everywhere in the world will soon follow. After all, it’s also in their interest to make air travel possible as soon as possible again.

So I think the whole test requirement seems to be mostly a nuisance practically speaking. But adds to the price tag of the flight, of course…

4 Likes

A nuisance if the test comes back negative. But if Taiwan is your home and you test positive and you’re suddenly stuck in another country?

8 Likes

I have the same concern. I was quoted 3-5 business days for a result on a COVID test in my area. As I understand, the test needs to be taken within 3 days of boarding the flight. Few places offer a result that quick…

2 Likes

Yup, this is the biggest issue. My only health insurance is NHI, should this happen there is no way to get treated without a large out of pocket expense with the hope that NHI might, maybe reimburse some of it. I haven’t seen too many success stories in that regard over the years. Not sure what the current situation with COVID and travel insurance might be.

5 Likes

My mom lives in the US and went from a state with many infections to one that is getting Covid19 under control (her state of residence). She asked for a test and was willing to pay for it, but she was told by several hospitals as well as by the state CDC that people without symptoms could not get tested. And even if they could, results would take 7 business days.

3 Likes

I was told assuredly that the 3 days means 3 days from the date receiving the test result, not from the date of taking the test. Does anyone else have information on this? I will be confirming this shortly depending on how my own situation goes.

4 Likes

So can I get this straight - I’m an APRC holder, and I take a vacation with my child to Vietnam this autumn.

Child can re-enter the ROC on her Taiwanese passport, no issue, and quarantine as required. But I need to secure a negative CoVid test from some Ho Chi Minh clinic, or I’m stopped at SGN airport.

8 Likes

Big if true. Thanks for sharing. Who told you this, out of curiosity? I really want to believe it and will def look for future updates here.

Correct. Unless you are a Chinese spouse

1 Like

The Ministry of Health contact mailbox appears to be down.

Did you mean this contact page?

https://mohwservice.mohw.gov.tw/SWSFRONT35/SWSF/SWSF01014.aspx?Cul=854f424bac5f2f34695876de8c4e10ad

I did. Maybe it is my PC? I can’t get it to load.

This is what you should see

At the bottom, you need to tick a box to confirm understanding of the process and then click submit to reach the actual form to email the Health Minister

Here is what the form looks like:

2 Likes

Works fine for me, just sent off an email.

1 Like

K-man has written up this story today and linked to the mailbox to send complaints to.

7 Likes

The Ministry mailbox works fine for me on mobile