Coronavirus--Taiwan developments

Can I get picked up by a friend and then us driving car back home ?

Sorry for the silly question, but in these times … well

I am aware of that. Don’t worry

Thank you.
Context is everything.
I forgot @Icon is from a Spanish speaking country. Reading it in English makes it…omg.

2 Likes

Yes, friend/family can pick you up. That information will be inputted by you on that webform (use your smartphone), as 1 of the questions is how you plan to get to your residence (which you also input on that form), like by family, bus, taxi, etc.

Do not use your friend or wife’s cell phone.

They track you with the cell tower thing so if they find out the number isn’t yours then you’re in a world of hurt…

Use roaming if you have to.

Correct. I forgot to add that as long as that # is going to be with you. Good catch, @Taiwan_Luthiers
I presumed he’d be picked up by wife and using her #.
Best case: you have own SIM number as you previously did and it’s still active.
Worst case: you have to get new SIM card after deplaning (huge long wait).
Middle-case: your wife will be staying with you and you use her SIM card, but you MUST not allow the SIM card smartphone to leave your residence for 14 days. That’s how CDC contacts you by LINE and by text message.

1 Like

Do prepare snacks. Seems some people get nice packages of goodies, some none, depending on where you live.

好麻煩。
I just cancelled my tw contract being SIM less as of now.
But thanks for everyone’s input, very much appreciate it.

You can do this:
Your friend buys a SIM card # with a cell #. He/she activates that number on a smartphone.
You use that SIM card cell # to fill out the webpage of information that the government wants before you board plane.
When you arrive in Taoyuan, make sure your friend has that smartphone turned on with that SIM card # you gave the government, because once you disembark the plane, the government will auto-send something to that phone #.
You yourself just hook-up to Taoyuan airport’s free WiF and your friend sends you a screenshot of what was received (from the gov’t) to the SIM card # on his/her end.
That way, you skip ahead of the long line, show that screenshot, you go through heat-temp area, and onwards to immigration. You’ll save maybe an hour or 2 not having to apply for SIM card right there (like hundreds of others from planes arriving), activating it, filling out form, etc. etc.
When you are at your Taichung residence, you put that SIM card into your own smartphone and keep it there (or the phone your friend used to activate it, if you will use that same phone for the next 14 days). A local police officer will call you on that number that same day. If that # does not have a LINE account, just set one up from App Store, because you’ll be asked if you have LINE account, as it makes things go smoother if you do, for your daily temp checks. You’ll get a daily text msg and LINE msg each day in the morning.

5 Likes

Another (#5) 30 day extension for those in need. Still has the confusing 180 day maximum stay though.

https://www.boca.gov.tw/cp-220-5731-be781-2.html

I wish the US would do this. Surely there are travelers stuck there as well.

2 more cases incoming.

Info later.

2 more from Philippines.*

Spell check on new phone so far so good.

5 Likes

Yeah, you could’ve caused a mass panic here on the forums if you said there were two more cases from Filipinas. :rofl:

5 Likes

Six Thais flying out on Eva landed in Thailand with fevers.

That aside, am I the only one who finds it highly suspicious they reported having symptoms one or two days before getting on the plane?

I hope that does not mean there is an active strain among our SEA worker population. We’d have a Singapore situation.

How’s that possible?

Maybe they needed to shit. Couldn’t go to the washroom en route.

Could be any old virus. I’m not losing any sleep on this 100 days in.

Why would you go to a washroom if you needed to shit? Surely you’d seek out a toilet instead? (unless you were a Chinese tourist, of course)