Coronavirus - Taiwan (October-December 2020)

Nothing to do with crisis. I don’t believe in giving anyone a free ride. Welfare is a scam that should be completely done away with.

Here’s another example: My property taxes in the US are super high and 85% of my annual property taxes go to the local school district. That sucks. I have no children, so why should I have my tax money go to fund the school district? Further, we have no way of preventing all the illegals from attending public schools which my taxes pay. Why should my property tax money fund the education of illegals? Total BS.

But, now I’m waaaay off topic. Back to my point. Taiwan’s taxpayers should not fund the treatment of foreign workers who arrive with COVID. If they are to be treated here, then that needs to be funded by their respective governments or the employment agency who brought them over. Or just send them back until they are cured.

Do you have a Taiwan passport and/or 身份證?
What about, say, a foreign national who has lived in Taiwan for years? Are they still their ‘home country’s problem’?
This is simply a side effect of allowing those with ARCs back into the country, which I fully support. Taiwan is being nice in treating residents similarly to citizens in this case. They have to quarantine on arrival, get tested, and now provide a test before even boarding, so I don’t know what else you could want.

Plus, at the end of the day, 14 is peanuts. My home county in the US has a 7-day rolling average of ~300 cases, without any contact tracing or quarantine.

5 Likes

Right here, digression is always a bad sign…just saying.

They have working visas, and went through the procedures setup by Taiwan government. so their government now is Taiwan government.

Chasing agents is always a bad strategy cause those shops are not located in one country and open and close on a whim. You really need to track taiwanese employers and taiwanese officials that empower them if you really wanted to track someone.

But yeah this is a shitty system that need to be changed, but we should not take it on the poor souls who are victims of a corrupted system.

4 Likes

This is a bullshit argument. You also received something of a free ride, compared to the average Indonesian (for example), or the average human for that matter, by having been born in the U.S. rather than under circumstances where you had far fewer opportunities.

Your attitude on this seems entirely petty and vindictive - the cost of treating those people coming here to work who turn out to be positive must be pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things, and it seems to me to be worthwhile when it’s part of Taiwan having a robust system for avoiding coronavirus spreading here. And they’re presumably covered by NHI from their first day of work like anyone else, no?

10 Likes

New measures taken:

With immediate effect, migrant workers from the agencies PT. LAATANSA LINTAS and PT. PRIMA DUTA SEJATI will be prohibited from entering Taiwan, bringing to six the total number of agencies facing such restrictions, Lo Yi-chun (羅一鈞), deputy chief of the CECC’s medical response division, said at a press conference.

Guy

2 Likes

You do know the brokers and local bosses take one or two years of these “poor people” salary? They did not choose coming here sick but I wouldn’t be surprised the above mentioned crooks bribe and distort or just rewrite test results.

If you had ever seen how these people are treated at the hospitals for their checkups, or how they are set to live in dog houses or treated as pariahs by sectors of locals, you wouldn’t be so quick to point a finger. Today it is them, tomorrow it could be us.

Actually, Taiwan needs more experience with coronavirus, in developing antibodies serum from recuperating patients. Remember we are isolated from the global networks.

4 Likes

Well they are Taiwan’s problem otherwise who takes care of all the old people ?

2 Likes

I want to make clear, 12 out of 13 of those incoming positive Indonesians on that plane very likely were NOT sick. They were on a plane with one hundred to two hundred other Indonesians who tested negative.

The pandemic has been rampant in Indonesia for six months at least. So let’s go over the hysteria. Only one person was deemed currently symptomatic and likely infectious. The others very likely had cleared it within the last few months but the PCR sampling method they use on quarantine exit is the most sensitive one.

4 Likes

The Indonesian connection strikes again!

Taiwan News has posted a report on today’s developments:

Guy

1 Like

An increase of 14 new imported cases, the highest single-day surge since April 19, when 22 new patients were confirmed.

All but one of the 14 were migrant workers arriving from Indonesia.

1 Like

What’s your solution to this, mate?

Migrant workers are often the first to be exploited and the first to be scapegoated. Seems to be the case here.

This is a really shameful comment. Perhaps the most shameful comment I’ve seen here.

Migrant workers come here because the Taiwan government approves for them to come. They do jobs that the vast majority of Taiwanese wouldn’t want to do at the wages being paid (or even higher). They are frequently exploited by greedy brokers, treated poorly by their employers and looked down on by locals.

Putting migrant workers who come to Taiwan lawfully and comply with all of the quarantine and testing rules back on planes if they test positive for coronavirus after arriving would be a PR disaster for a country that regards itself as a beacon of decency and human rights in Asia.

If Taiwan wants to restrict entry to people from high-risk countries, or put in place additional testing and quarantine requirements for high-risk countries, that’s fine. But deporting migrant workers who follow the rules and test positive after a lawful entry would make Taiwan look more like a certain country across the Strait.

10 Likes

I have no solution that anyone here would find acceptable.

China claims virus originated outside of China.

Will not allow any independent investigation of Wuhan labs.:thinking:

6 Likes

3 more cases today it seems, all women from Indonesia. Care givers no doubt.

Complete wankers, but predictably so.

1 Like

Interesting how things have changed since 2003, when SARS origin was not as debated nor culturally controversial. Now China has a firm grip on any countermeasures.

Next time it will be worse.

4 Likes
1 Like

Another sensible decision. I’m sure a few Taiwanese can bite the bullet and look after their own relatives for a short period.

3 Likes