Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

I imagine most of those beds were occupied before Covid anyway

1 Like

I thought Taiwans hospital beds were usually filled to capacity before COVID?

2 Likes

Pretty much everything that Chase Nelson posts is drivel. He has absolutely no idea what the published numbers represent and doesn’t know how to model (to the extent such a thing is possible) the uncontrolled spread of an infection. He seems to think it’s a simple exponential.

40% bed occupancy seems extraordinarily low. AFAIK hospitals generally run at around 80% capacity. What’s likely to matter most is whether hospitals are forewarned and forearmed with effective treatment protocols, and I’ve seen no suggestion to date that the CECC have even “mulled” that sort of thing. Senior vaccination rate, given the experience in other countries, will make no difference (cue handwringing about HK…).

:no_mouth:

6 Likes

Do you have a sensible rebuttal? Given the exceedingly low (absolute) rate of hospitalisation and poor vaccine effectiveness (somewhere between 0% and 40%), why would you expect vaccination to be a big factor in hospital occupancy?

By far the biggest factor is going to be getting people better and getting them out the door - as opposed to, say, putting them on invasive mechanical ventilation and useless experimental drugs for weeks (or until they die). Taiwan has no experience of treating Covid and apparently has no intention of finding out what worked elsewhere.

I think we can’t rely on that data since hospitalizations lag behind cases by about a month. If in another month hospitalizations are still as low as they are now then yes I’ll support that claim

Anyone watch Fury Vs Whyte boxing match over the weekend?

94,000 people in attendance at Wembley Stadium UK, and not a single mask.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: From open

I meant hospitalisations in other countries. Taiwan’s experience is so far the same as anybody else’s, plus or minus, and there’s really no reason to expect anything different.

Hospitalisation, if it happens, is usually a matter of days. If you’re seeing a 1-month lag in the charts, it’s because non-covid causes are being thrown in (in countries where this was admitted, the “noise” is supposedly about 50%).

2 Likes

have you just arrived in Taiwan?

When I saw it yesterday, I thought that the number doesn’t make much sense, or at least needs more context. Taiwan of course doesn’t have just 6,159 hospital beds (it apparently has something like 479 hospitals, though I’m not sure exactly what’s included in that, and NTUH alone has about 2,600 beds). The occupancy rate of 40% also seems low.

Taiwan seems to have about 170,000 hospital beds, so I assume the number given in the post refers to negative-pressure isolation rooms or the beds currently dedicated to COVID patients or something. The 6,159 figure has also almost doubled in the last several weeks according to this post, so I presume it isn’t a fixed number but something the government has the ability to increase (e.g., by repurposing other wards). It doesn’t seem like a terribly useful figure as presented in the post, anyway.

6 Likes

Almost no one needs negative pressure isolation with omicron

Why do you say that?

Just a feeling in my bones.

Has there been any research into the effects of children using so much alcohol based hand sanitizer?

1 Like

Going from memory, the number of those rooms was in the 2k range IIRC, but it’s more about what Taiwan is doing than what the person needs. I was just saying that 6k doesn’t make sense for the number of hospital beds in Taiwan.

I’d go along with this too

Negative Pressure Rooms are to stop dangerous and contagious infections exiting the room (for example when the door opens)

The need for a Negative Pressure Room for an Omicron infection is probably at a similar level to a patient with the Flu

1 Like

… or adults!!

It totally fucks my nail polish!

3 Likes

Yeah, but again it’s not about what the patient needs - Taiwan was using them previously, and I’d be surprised if they’ve completely stopped using them now (although they may have relaxed the requirements for putting patients in them, simply because they don’t have the capacity any more). I doubt they’ve freed the rooms up in case there’s an Ebola outbreak or something, and it seems likely they’re included in the 6k figure.

That kinda sums up the total global situation, regarding Covid

1 Like