Coronavirus Taiwan Open - April-June 2022

The CECC went to great lengths to promote themselves as miracle-working technocrats, effortlessly bending nature to their whim via the magic of yellow tape and plastic barriers, and probably started believing their own BS. A compliant, fearmongering media acted as kingmakers, and our representatives and lawmakers went along with it all (most likely because they knew the CECC would take the heat when it all blew up - evading blame is a national pastime). Anyone raising objections was constrained by emergency powers and censorship (same as everywhere else, of course).

As for why people are ignoring deadly serious global and national issues and focusing instead on a largely-unimportant virus, there’s a whole thread about that (which nobody reads):

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/mass-formation-psychosis/

1 Like

Yeah, why worry about the shit in Ukraine exploding into WW3, when you have to worry about Elan buying Twitter, Johnny and Amber truly physically slinging shit at each other, all kinds of HxNy bird flu coming from chickens in the U.S., lockdowns in that big city across the pond, etc.

Even now many Taiwanese believe that covid will just go away eventually, so in their mind if they just held onto covid zero a bit longer they’d get off scott free.

Ooohhhhh….here’s a fresh new take :sweat_smile:

You’re having a laugh if you think people routinely get “convicted” for academic/scientific fraud. It happens fairly regularly, and generally speaking nothing happens.

In a few very high profile cases some papers may eventually get retracted or someone might lose their job, but that’s the exception not the norm.

2 Likes

The chaps in hazmat suits are spraying my uni. Looks like online teaching shortly.

Soft lockdown doesn’t need to be declared, it just gradually happens anyway.

It must be reassuring to know that you’re not gonna catch COVID from the foliage anymore though, yeah?

5 Likes

We’ve got a few cases. We need to do something. I know! Let’s spray the place.

Medical fraud is no laughing matter.

A California jury found Holmes, 37, on four of 11 charges, including three counts of fraud and one count of conspiring to defraud private investors in the blood-testing startup. She remains free on a $500,000 bond while awaiting sentencing.

3 Likes

Kid has been confined to our home for a week. Wife too. No one is sick, no one has tested positive.

To get released, my daughter has to provide a negative test to her TEACHER.

Living normally.

Teachers are the new state police, just like convenience store employees about a year ago.
How’d that end?

1 Like

Well done - you found one of the very rare high-profile exceptions I mentioned. And she was prosecuted for defrauding money from people, not for scientific fraud or dishonesty. It’s no surprise to anyone that this attracts legal attention.

2 Likes

Online class for me today, because almost all today’s students wrote a test in the same room as a positive case last week.

At least the school is letting me run class from home, and not making me go and run an online class in the school classroom.

Fortunately it’s a small class. The plan for today is midterm exam review. Scanning the exams for fifteen students and sending them out isn’t too much trouble. Doing so for a seventy-student class would be different.

3 Likes

The indictment alleges that Holmes and Balwani defrauded doctors and patients by making false claims concerning Theranos’s ability to provide accurate, fast, reliable, and cheap blood tests and test results, and by omitting information concerning the limits of and problems with Theranos’s technologies. The defendants knew Theranos was not capable of consistently producing accurate and reliable results for certain blood tests, including the tests for calcium, chloride, potassium, bicarbonate, HIV, Hba1C, hCG, and sodium. The defendants nevertheless used interstate electronic wires to purchase advertisements intended to induce individuals to purchase Theranos blood tests at Walgreens stores in California and Arizona. Through these advertisements, the defendants explicitly represented to individuals that Theranos’s blood tests were cheaper than blood tests from conventional laboratories to induce individuals to purchase Theranos’s blood tests.

3 Likes

You might want to read to the end of your link to see what she was convicted of. (Spoiler - it wasn’t lying about science, it was defrauding investors.)

Note also how long it took for this to come to light and be prosecuted - over 15 years. And again, this is one of the very rare exceptions - people aren’t routinely being convicted for scientific fraud/dishonesty.

2 Likes

You said prosecuted for.

1 Like

Then I used the wrong word there. We were talking about “convicted” prior to that.

She was convicted of defrauding investors using false claims about the efficacy of her blood analyzer.

The indictment alleges that the defendants used a combination of direct communications, marketing materials, statements to the media, financial statements, models, and other information to defraud potential investors. Specifically, the defendants claimed that Theranos developed a revolutionary and proprietary analyzer that the defendants referred to by various names, including as the TSPU, Edison, or minilab. The defendants claimed the analyzer was able to perform a full range of clinical tests using small blood samples drawn from a finger stick. The defendants also represented that the analyzer could produce results that were more accurate and reliable than those yielded by conventional methods – all at a faster speed than previously possible. The indictment further alleges that Holmes and Balwani knew that many of their representations about the analyzer were false. For example, it is alleged that Holmes and Balwani knew that the analyzer had accuracy and reliability problems, performed a limited number of tests, was slower than some competing devices, and, in some respects, could not compete with existing, more conventional machines.

My HS daughter is at home now attending online classes. Someone in her class had covid symptoms so the class was sent home on Friday. The results came out on Sunday and they were positive. According to my daughter’s teacher, Sunday would be considered day 1 of the 3+4 scheme. Also according to the teacher, everyone had to take a home test and send a picture to the teacher on this supposed day 1.

Everything is so screwed up with the teacher’s understanding of the rules (not to mention her logic), I don’t even know where to start. I told my daughter to show her teacher the rules of 3+4 but she didn’t want to be the only one rebelling so she is complying with everything. I told her she can leave the house starting tomorrow (Tuesday). I believe the process is another home test before she heads out the door. The test she took on the supposed day 1 was unnecessary, of course.

7 Likes

Have your daughter tell the teacher your dog ate the test result, but it was negative.

4 Likes