Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

You may now elbow bump the bride.

2 Likes

The amount of lazy asses that lived in my old building that would order McDonald’s takeout when they lived a 2 minute walk from McDonald’s was astounding. Yes I get the whole Netflix and chill but the delivery driver was there almost all day back and forth. They should have just set up a conveyor belt from the building to the McDonald’s

6 Likes

I can top that story.

On the ground floor of my apartment complex is a Starbucks. Not only is it the same building, it’s maybe 30 meters from the building exit.

Every day, without fail, I still see orders from this very Starbucks being delivered to my neighbours—yes, from around 30 meters away.

Guy

5 Likes

Probably because they cant find a seat in Starbucks - usually occupied by freeloading students sucking up the free Wifi all day.

2 Likes

There has been no seating (i.e. dining in) at this Starbucks since May. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

I havent been in one for a few years, the extortion price shied me off drinking their muddy water.

A friend swears by them though, and last time we were about to go in, only to find every second table occupied by a laptop wielding person taking up all 4 seats, we about faced and walked out.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Starbucks, but I might be tempted to do that too actually haha - with the Uber Eats Pass delivery is free for NT$120 per month, so at least you’d be getting a bit more value from your overpriced coffee and diverting a bit of the markup to the delivery person.

(I tend to avoid Uber Eats etc. for small restaurants whose margins are already pretty thin, but for Starbucks and McDonald’s and so on, screw 'em.)

1 Like

Likely there are online-only discounts.

3 Likes

Or they are simply lazy af! :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

Some people developed a new skill during the pandemic, ‘chin breathing’

…now im paranoid as well…wish I didn’t read any of that lol.

as I said earlier I think the shit storm will fully engulf us if delta gets out like it is in Korea. I can’t wait for my boss to tell me to buy a full hazmat suit.

p.s.

I have a feeling sexy tea was a big part of trafficking. Coming into Taiwan illegally infected and probably went straight to serving people. need to CLAMP.

12 + 2 = 14 and two more deaths.

6 Likes

7-day average has reached a new low: 14.29

4 Likes

Still too high to open restaurants according to Ko, he needs single digit. You’ll see.

We are effectively in single digits. Out of today’s 12 cases, for example, six were already in isolation, meaning we in effect had six new cases in the community.

Guy

I thought Ko’s requirement was single digits in Taipei/New Taipei.

The reason he wasn’t allowing indoor dining yet was because Taipei’s cases was still the highest in Taiwan.

1 Like

He doesn’t want in-person dining because he understands—correctly—that this is a major way this virus travels from person to person.

Lately though he has been mentioning things like people employed in this sector of the economy, making it seem that he may perhaps be relenting . . .

I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.

Guy

3 Likes

They should stop trafficking, period. I don’t even know why it’s a discussion, but sadly laws here all have loopholes. However, why blame outsiders when locals bring them over, and locals also spread the virus. What about the locals that leave quarantine, or go give speeches with COVID? If anything, the majority of the foreigners, minus asshole pilots, have seen how awful things can get first hand, so they are being way more careful than locals. I know we make an easy target, and we’re a better scapegoat, but what’s going to happen when locals do stupid shit like infect all of their relatives, or go screw five tinder hookups and give them COVID? Who are they going to blame then? All I see here is the media reinforcing ethnocentrism, and people buying that shit because it’s easier than admitting that Taiwan has problems.

Single digits is an arbitrary measurement anyway. There’s no real difference in threat level between 8 cases and 12 cases a day.

He’s a very bright man.

The virus also travels from person to person while eating at home or next to a colleague in an office.

2 Likes