Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

Interesting data compilation.

3 Likes

Update - sort of - on indoor dining in Greater Taipei. Maybe there will be an announcement on Monday; the expectation seems to be that itā€™ll be allowed on Tuesday.

Dunno how others feel, but Iā€™m vaguely planning to enjoy a couple of restaurant lunches this week. I suspect for the next few months itā€™ll be a case of grabbing your chance when you can, between closures. I have basically zero fears of eating in a restaurant during a quiet weekday lunch; Iā€™d avoid busy dinner crowds, but thatā€™s not much of a change from pre-COVID times anyway.

2 Likes

Itā€™s kind of moronic to let businesses invest in separations if you donā€™t know if or when dining will be allowed and the short notice. Companies that provide separations are overstretched. Makes prices go up too, and government subsidy non-existent.

4 Likes

Itā€™s absolutely disgraceful treating resto owners like this; apart from the uncertainty of not knowing what the hell is going on, it will take them years to recoup their losses on this lockdown. Iā€™ll be eating out as often as humanly possible.

Iā€™d say itā€™s 50-50 whether theyā€™ll get shut down again on the 9th. And I hope they all turn out on the streets with torches and pitchforks if that happens. Or, at least, theyā€™ll all get together and bar Ko from ever eating at another restaurant for the rest of his life. Remember Keir Starmer getting thrown out of the pub by a graph-wielding landlord?

2 Likes

Compared to other countries ?
It ainā€™t even in the haā€™penny place.
The pandemic brought out a lot of bad stuff everywhere, personally Iā€™m very pissed off at the treatment of foreigners during the pandemic.
But Iā€™m sure there are many people pissed off at many different things !

2 Likes

The point is that Taiwan had access to reams and reams of research by the time COVID (supposedly) ran wild over here. And they appear to have read and digested precisely none of it.

Could have been worse, I suppose. At least we didnā€™t have ā€œface shieldā€ mandates.

2 Likes

We do for teaching in cram schools apparently. I havenā€™t seen it reported anywhere. My manager said the government said we need googles/ face shields.

So weirdā€¦it seems like cram school teachers have to wear protective gear than the hospital staff giving people injections.

1 Like

Itā€™s probably to stop you reflexively facepalming. Itā€™s like the cone of shame for teachers.

AFAIK the government has never said any such thing. Your manager is an idiot (but you probably knew that anyway).

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to debate this. The Science is settled.

They arenā€™t making you wear cones around your neck to keep you from messing with your mask. Yet.

2 Likes

If I was teaching, Iā€™d wear this:

3 Likes

And I this:

7 Likes

Still can turn bad if they canā€™t get a grip on Chiayi and itā€™s tentacles.

What did you say? I canā€™t hear hear you from behind your face screen!

There was apparently one more Chiayi case today, but that case was reportedly already in isolation.

Guy

1 Like

Theyā€™re saying the delta variant spreads well as chicken pox, regardless of vaccination.

But vaccination eliminates, or at least almost eliminates the chance of long covid or death.

Watched one of our assistants teach a class to a room full of kids via zoom last week. They were only masked and the kids werenā€™t social distanced. Iā€™m definitely wearing all of the PPE I can get my hands on even if it means the quality of my instruction goes way down because of it. Plus I think it will be a nice FU to the government when complaints about how restricted our classrooms are start rolling in. Money be dammed. Iā€™d rather be as safe as possible and Iā€™m not letting managers talk me into anything that Iā€™m uncomfortable with.

Iā€™m only really worried because Iā€™ve been reading stuff like this:

3 Likes

I think Delta coming in is just a matter of time.

5 Likes

Weā€™re buying as much time as possible before that happens.

Itā€™s still quite astonishing that the Peru grandmother Delta breach in Pingtung was somehow contained.

Guy

5 Likes

If we werenā€™t already on level 3 high alert it wouldnā€™t have been. In a way the earlier Alpha outbreak saved us from a worse fate.

10 Likes

Never mind jump starting vaccinations.

Silver linings and all that stuff.

Guy

2 Likes