Coronavirus - Taiwan Open August 2021

I’ve moved from my irrational fear theory to a theory that some people enjoy the restrictions and want them to continue in perpetuity.

9 Likes

This could be part of it. I’d bet most of the people who want indefinite level 4 restrictions are probably in their 20s, introverted, have no kids, don’t own a business, and are probably content to stay inside and play video-games all day. So they don’t see the big deal.

11 Likes

USA and Taiwan? As in two countries in a radically different COVID-situation?

6 Likes

Yes. That comparison—and the time-worn idiotic comparison to “the flu”—should make you wonder what the hell some posters are thinking (or not thinking).

Guy

3 Likes

Part of the reason Taiwan has done so well is that folk were extra cautious early and we’ve kind of specialized in overkill. I don’t mind keeping things at level 2-3 for longer if we can have most of the population with a shot in them and tamp down any community spread. My guess is that schools will open on schedule, with hopefully a solid majority of adults vaccinated and relatively little community spread. This summer kind of sucked, but that’s a pretty good place to start the fall.

4 Likes

12 + 2 = 14 and zero deaths.

7 Likes

Good numbers, Taipei City is down to two today.

4 Likes

yeah 6 of those in quarantine

1 Like

Yup. So only six local cases detected in the community.

It is a Monday though which has typically been the lowest number of the week . . .

Guy

Shuangbei will be able to eat and drink inside from the 3rd
Eating while walking is forbidden in the night market

the second-level epidemic situation and stabilize Chen Shizhong:
After 8/10, the epidemic prevention intensity tends to be maintained

2 Likes

Restaurant has to stop serving indoors for 14 days if any employee or customer contracts covid :flushed: Best of luck.

3 Likes

That’s such a rough rule/policy. I don’t envy anyone who runs a restaurant, or any staff that are employed in a place that happens to get flagged in this way. How can they run a business with any confidence or long-term planning, knowing that this is always a possibility?

This is exactly why many call these restrictions ‘draconian,’ i.e. “excessively harsh or severe.”

7 Likes

Agree. Damn

It won’t be easy on the customers, either. Every time you cough…

1 Like

Careful ordering spicy food. They’ll kick you the F out. Lol

3 Likes

I’m too afraid to cough any more.

2 Likes

When I do eat quite spicy food at a restaurant, invariably my nose will start running. Tissues required. Won’t be doing that no more.

2 Likes

Mayor Hou also mentioned other conditions for shutting down in-person dining in New Taipei (and presumably in Taipei City, as to their credit they seem to have coordinated their policies): any Delta outbreak in Taiwan will lead to a suspension of in-person dining.

Guy

1 Like

Sounds like we’d best go to all the restaurants we can prior to the permanent shutdown on Aug. 9th, then. Inevitably, Delta will pop up here at some point.

1 Like

Love your cheerful approach!

We shall see . . .

Guy