Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

Guess I’ll just have to dive to the bottom of the lake, have a smoke and wait until they leave.

3 Likes

Some of these people should really just go swimming with masks on to highlight the ridiculousness of it. I wonder whether the police would still be able to fine them then.

A Taiwanese acquaintance on Instagram has posted quite a few photos and videos recently of her and some friends (both Taiwanese and foreigners) going hiking, to the beach, etc., sans masks. I’m not inclined to call the SWAT teams out on them personally, but it seems a bit silly to post evidence of it to social media.

6 Likes

I was in the area recently and went to see if that waterfall had been closed off. I discovered both of the closest entrances had a wall of yellow tape across them, although the footbridge to the shrine did not. Interestingly, the sign seems to be a bit unclear:
It says the waterfall is closed.
It suggests that locals and visitors not go in.
It reminds that if you’re outside you should wear a mask and be in groups of less than ten.
It then says you can be fined for breaking the above rules.

But is it a rule not to go in or just a suggestion? Is this another example of poetic laws that people have mentioned that are perhaps designed to be open to interpretation, or am I being obtuse? The article suggests the unlucky secret seven got fined for not wearing masks, which leads me to wonder what would have happened if they had been, because there were only seven of them, not ten.

On the day I went past I had already decided not to go into the water there if it was open because I was wondering how many other people had been in. I know there would be lower chance of catching it from an empty communal water hole, but I remember some people were thought to have caught the virus through an apartment’s plumbing system.

2 Likes

That is a little confusing lol. It certainly does seem that it is a suggestion and not a rule.

3 Likes

it’s a suggested rule. old Taiwanese proverb.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if there’s a program that aims to teach Taiwanese people how to use barricade tape?

4 Likes

I can’t opine on the wording of the signs but, to be fair, that’s rather a lot of tape for something intended to be a “suggestion”. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

8 Likes

Maybe they’re just really, really suggesting it.

11 Likes

It’s just my opinion, but I suspect it’s done that way because the local authorities know full well that there’s no legal basis for this sort of thing. Lots and lots of words and a show of authority is usually a sure sign that the emperor has no clothes. The UK gov’t did the same thing during the first lockdown there: they conveyed the impression that the lockdown rules had the force of Law, without actually saying so (because they didn’t).

Doesn’t mean they might not fine you if you go in, of course. Nobody seems to know or care how the Law is supposed to work anymore.

2 Likes

And so it begins. A bit earlier than I anticipated. The next obvious step is special privileges for those with these certificates.

“In addition, the CECC confirmed that measures related to issuing certificates for people who have recovered from COVID-19, people who have tested negative, and people who have been vaccinated for the disease, will be announced in the coming week, per CNA.”

4 Likes

I do believe very soon they will implement the rules for access places based on this system.

2 Likes

Man I want a haircut. Is there anywhere in Taipei that you can cut your hair outside?

Creating a haves vs have nots certification system is definitely one surefire way to chip away at vaccine hesitancy in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I can recommend you mine. It’s not outside but they are doing cuts.

It’s called Hitouch in Danshui.

They only take one customer at a time last i checked.

2 Likes

Ah thats too far, I would settle for one that leaves the doors and windows open.

they have floor-ceiling windows, you can ask them to open them. I think that wouldn’t be an issue.

This news report seems to say they are opening vaccine reservation system to 50-64 year olds but the Google translate isn’t clear. Anyone have any info?

3 Likes

FIFY

Once upon a time, it was considered a Bad Thing to have society divided into Haves and Have Nots, and that social justice could be improved by preventing such divisions.

I guess history does tend to go around in circles, though. We’re just at one of those low points.

2 Likes

https://www.ettoday.net/news/20210705/2022785.htm

Workers in 101 mall test positive. I have a feeling we will enter a yo-yo period of level 2 then level 3 if we open to early.

We need to do mass testing before level 3 restrictions are relaxed.

2 Likes

How about we split the difference and say it’s a morons vs non-morons situation. If you’re able to get vaccinated and choose not to, you’re basically saying it’s okay to be a vector for COVID. It’s not about you, it’s about how that affects others.