Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

You can call it whatever you like. Deliberately drawing a line down the middle of society and saying “you people are granted these rights and privileges” and “you people are second-class citizens who will be denied those rights and privileges” is a surefire route to civil strife.

Well, no, that isn’t what you’re saying. No vaccine has never been sold to the public on the basis that it’s your duty to take it, despite the fact that it exposes you to risks that you would otherwise not have and offers you no benefit in return. In modern democracies we have never, ever forced people to do things that may harm them “for the public good”; in addition, we have rules that explicitly forbid medical experiments which involve coercion (or lack of informed consent). Those rules are absolute: they make no exceptions for potential benefits that might arise from such experiments.

Vaccines in the past were distributed on the basis that you would gain some individual benefit from getting vaxed, and coincidentally would improve the safety of society.

4 Likes

Can someone tell me the APP, I cannot see it on the CDC website. I am in that age range , with a pre existing condition in New Taipei City.
@Brianjones do you know the APP

Why are people going to shopping malls?

4 Likes

https://booking.health.gov.tw/Home/notyet

I found this site. Lemme see about the app.

For shopping, I’d wager. If people shouldn’t do that, maybe it would have been a good idea for the government to close them down and compensate the workers/businesses.

Which they didn’t of course, so the mall and shops remain open and people can go if they want.

1 Like

The authorities have not indicated that they are considering going back to Level 2.

I’d expect some form(s) of Level 3 until community transmission is over . . .

Guy

2 Likes

I don’t know the app sorry.

It should be the useless NHI app.

I visited that 101 japanese dept store 2 weeks ago and there were far more employees than customers!
It felt much safer than getting in line for vaccination, trips to costco/RT Mart etc.
Definitely safer than traditional markets.

5 Likes

My mind continues to be blown that Ikeas are still open in Taipei but things like the zoo and art exhibitions, etc are not. Seriously the place is packed full of people in sometimes relatively tight hallways. The solo exercise equipment is roped off at the park nearby my apartment, but come to Ikea and tour (even relax in!) small living arrangements with your date! Hell, I went yesterday to the one in Neihu and there was not even anyone at the front of the supermarket on the ground floor checking ID card numbers or even QR scans. We are as strong as our weakest link and it really looks like what is still allowed to go down in Ikea is quite a departure from the norm.

Would not be surprised to hear of an “IKEA” cluster in the future at this rate.

5 Likes

One case at Mitsukoshi Xinyi A11:

2 Likes

Nothing to see there. The chemical warfare soldiers have disinfected the building so problem solved.

7 Likes

They will do one more round: Taipei's Shin Kong Mitsukoshi Department Store closed for disinfection | Taiwan News | 2021-07-05 10:34:00

Wow, two rounds of disinfection. That place must be really safe now.

8 Likes

Leaked line messages between the leader of the Huannan Market Merchant Organization and the deputy mayor of Taipei city surfaced today.

Apparently the reason why the Huannan market was allowed to do business as usual despite the Taipei city government knowing there has been infections is that the leader of the Huannan Market Merchant Organization has asked the mayor to relax measures, such as shorten market shutdown and quarantine period.

That is why despite knowing cases have popped up since May, until June 18, over 70% of those who work in the market weren’t speed screened, much less PCR tested.

On July 2, when 41 people tested positive at the Huannan market, the city originally wanted the market to shutdown for a week. The organization asked for the shutdown time to be shortened to just 3 days.

That perhaps was why he was so eager to challenge legislator Freddie Lin when Lin pointed out the missteps of the city government.

5 Likes

28 + 3 = 31 and 1 more death.

5 Likes

What is happening to the Huanan cluster? Is it being backfilled for average smoothing again… -_-

7 Likes

I have the same question as I’m leaving near by.

A post yesterday said that all the market cases (200 or so) had been from the beginning and already reported.

Because they are open? :thinking:

3 Likes