Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

I read this as:

"Performance venues can host closed-door (i.e. no live audience) rehearsals and livestreams.

1 Like

I know it’s old, and it’s lame, but I think it has to be posted.

Seems like they went full retard this time.

But seriously, with the current somewhat simple regulations (wear a mask outside of your house, period) you can’t expect 100% compliance. But with such complicated and nonsensical new rules, you can expect a wayyyy lower level of compliance than before, much of it due to simply not understanding what is and isn’t permitted.

9 Likes

Business idea: bring the book shelves to the beach and call it a library.

6 Likes

And you would think that they would have that information immediately to hand anyway - since how else could they have formulated the policy without a thorough examination of the science and a cost-benefit analysis?

Surely, they haven’t simply pulled those recommendations out of their ass?

3 Likes

I guess they only open the industries/ shops/ places whom have harassed/ petitioned the government the most to reopen?

Otherwise there’s no rhyme or reason to it.

These decisions are based on something, but what is the something?

4 Likes

Their determination to keep their Dictatorial powers for longer.

3 Likes

I suspect that this has to do with the logic of being able to track people’s presence in a more or less reliable way?

1 Like

Don’t think they will put QR codes on all hiking trails which will be opening

Maybe. But then why national parks and not beaches? Are the national parks easier to track people at than a beach?

Honest question.

Me neither.

Must be something like this

The way I’ve observed Taiwanese do the National Park / hiking thingies is to crowd all together shoulder to shoulder on narrow stairway type trails and hang out together at the photographic opportunity spots. Afterward, they all crowd in together at the restaurants to eat and admire the views. They pack themselves all in together on tour buses and in the parking lots. So, I don’t understand why this is going to work out well. It probably will end up being a huge clusterfuck.

As for me at the beach. There are many days Monday through Friday where me and a couple other mates are the only ones in the water surfing. Seriously. Feels like it’s our own private beach. However, the weekends are insanely packed, so I stay away on Saturdays and Sundays. During the summer, most people head off to Yilan to crowd the beaches for surfing because it gets better press than up here at Baishawan, but I’m good with that. If everyone else heads east, then that just leaves my backyard relatively empty.

Anyway…

6 Likes

Money.

1 Like

I see! :+1:

Of course. I’ve noticed a substantial drop in mask use over the past 3-4 days, likely in conjunction with a drop in covid cases and an increase in temperatures but I’ve been largely impressed by compliance of covid measures by both businesses and individuals. People are fairly good at following regulations that appear to be reasonable and beneficial.

However, I fear that this is, perhaps, the worst policy mistake outside of 3+11 and drains goodwill accumulated by people making such decisions. Now, if they have evidence that suggests snorkeling is inherently more dangerous than sitting next to a stranger in an air conditioned theater for two hours and that registering 24 hours in advance entirely eliminates risk in the latter, I’m open to hearing it but, otherwise, a lot of folks are going to question advice from the same people commenting on matters that sincerely require experts.

5 Likes

A lot of the guidelines seem to be based on the assumption that there is no / minimal aerosolized transmission.

There was some lack of clarity on this earlier but the US CDC now says that there is aerosol transmission, but the WHO is not on board.

Aerosol transmission means that social distancing is ineffective in closed spaces with poor ventilation as the particles can hang in the air. But outdoor spread is low as the particles dissipate quickly.

Taiwan seems to be following the WHO guidelines with regards to aerosol spread.

Let’s see how that goes.

3 Likes

Except in all reality, a majority of Taiwanese won’t be going to beaches. So not many people will question it. Probably more non-taiwanese whom they don’t put extra consideration into.

I believe the WHO updated this information a few months ago and now agrees with aerosol transmission. (Still surprisingly late, mind you.) Emphasis added below.

The virus can spread from an infected person’s mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing or breathe. These particles range from larger respiratory droplets to smaller aerosols.

• Current evidence suggests that the virus spreads mainly between people who are in close contact with each other, typically within 1 metre (short-range). A person can be infected when aerosols or droplets containing the virus are inhaled or come directly into contact with the eyes, nose, or mouth.
  • The virus can also spread in poorly ventilated and/or crowded indoor settings, where people tend to spend longer periods of time. This is because aerosols remain suspended in the air or travel farther than 1 metre (long-range).
1 Like

The (odd!) logic seems to be:

1. Masks must be worn at all times when away from home.
  2. Masks cannot be worn in the water.
  3. Therefore, the water cannot be entered.

The logic is sound if your primary goal is to ensure that masks are worn. Less sound if your goal is to find a balance between public safety and loosening restrictions. It goes back to the mask-wearing as religion approach here. Don’t get me wrong - masks are great! But there seems such an underlying belief here that, if you’re wearing a mask, you’re safe, so therefore masks must always be worn. And that’s not really how the virus works.

5 Likes