Coronavirus - Taiwan Open July 2021

Louisa indeed knew what was coming since days ago.

1 Like

Nice to see the WHO finally update their guidance.

I don’t know what the Taiwan CECC is basing their choices on then, maybe they think aerosolized spread is very minor ?

I wish I knew more about their decision process - I haven’t seen much information on scientific explanations in English. Maybe there’s more in Chinese.

It is exactly because Taiwan believes COVID is capable of aerosol transmission from the beginning, that is why mask was mandated in public. If there is no aerosol transmission, people would just need to keep social distance and not wear a mask, since it is assumed that particles would fall to the ground before travelling that far.

2 Likes

Let’s see what we have for today.

Excellent low numbers of local infections—the lowest single day figure since May 13. It’s also a Thursday, later in the week, when case numbers typically rise, so even better.

Another donation of 1 million plus vaccines from Japan, this time AZ manufactured in Japan. They just landed in Taiwan this afternoon. Great news as we can definitely use them.

Some loosening of restrictions announced for next week, still some apparent confusion about all the details.

I don’t know about you guys, but all this, taken as a whole, is adding up to GOOD NEWS. You’d never know it though from having to slosh through the unpleasant piles of moaning and complaints and snark that litter this thread.

Sometime I wonder what really you guys expect.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

9 Likes

But what about TEA HOUSES? Asking for an old Taiwanese friend.

2 Likes

Can we not just be pessimistic though?

Scott Galloway says that pessimists make the best operators

2 Likes

Scott Galloway has heaps of humility, self-deprecation, and self-awareness that make him a great person to listen to.

Not seeing a whole lot of that in the posts today. :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

I woke this morning to acne all across the bridge of my nose. I assume it is from jogging and hiking while wearing a mask. I’ll need to be sure to wear a new one every day from now on. Acne. At my age :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Focus Taiwan summary of today’s news about loosening of restrictions, and an article about today’s cases.

And following on @afterspivak, the continued lack of cases in the south - especially with the fears of the Delta variant - is good news indeed.

4 Likes

it seems restaurants will be opened up with bits of plastic on the tables… so…

can I just order some wedges amd then proceed to sit there all evening and get roaring drunk?

im not been sarcastic or snarky it’s a real question.

2 Likes

You’ve never seen Scott Galloway comment on covid in Taiwan

1 Like

I think I read somewhere it’s a one hour maximum, but maybe someone else can clarify that one.

EDIT: It’s on focustaiwan. “In addition, customers are suggested to limit their onsite dining at restaurants to one hour per person, and will be required to wear masks at all times, except when they are eating, the CECC said.”

2 Likes

He’s just so down, hanging out lately.

suggested…

1 Like

I guess the enforcement of the one hour suggestion would vary between establishments. As long as you’re spending money then why would they turf you? Especially if the place doesn’t see a lot of diners :slight_smile:

But I like the consequence of it. No mask outside means you can’t ‘forget’ your mask and beg for entry and potentially hold the line up behind you.

There is more than ‘The Science’. People are irrational, emotional, etc… psychology plays into it too.

I reckon they know how people will behave.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s about compliance, the simpler the rule , the greater the compliance

3 Likes

Translations of the new regulations:

7 Likes

My claw machine shops still closed - what will
I do !!!

8 Likes