Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

This is an open thread for any discussion about the COVID situation in Taiwan. On-topic posts probably won’t be moved from here unless they’re dominating discussion, highly technical, etc. If you’d like to see a more focused or specifically informative thread or what have you, please choose one of the other threads under #covid-19 or feel free to start a new one. Carry on and stay safe

4 Likes

Stay safe everyone!

No need to panic as someone who had to live outside the bubble in Taiwan. Wash your hands, wear a mask, avoid crowded places, eat healthy, and exercise.

22 Likes

Oh god, here we go again.

(Just getting in before I have to mute it)

3 Likes

This guy survived infection in Italy at the height of Covid and then the UK. He must be doing something right😀

6 Likes

He was infected in both countries? :astonished:

1 Like

Yeah he’s young :joy::grin:.

Surviving lockdown type restrictions is the biggest problem for most of us plus earning a living.
Of yeah and surviving my family 24h7. :grin:

4 Likes

ok grammar wizard “He did not get infected”. Glad you having nothing else to worry about than grammar.

2 Likes

If you write “this guy survived infection”, it means the person was infected. Just FYI. I was asking genuinely. No need to be a…

2 Likes

Agreed… Saying someone survived infection means they survived after having been infected.

1 Like

Escaped infection seems better, maybe avoided infection too, or if you want to use the word survived you could say survived the outbreak.

4 Likes

Do we know if any of our posters have caught COVID in country? It’s interesting that this latest outbreak is 100% local local. None of us are actually involved (to the best of my knowledge).

1 Like

https://tw.forumosa.com/u/teahouselover69/summary hasn’t posted since mid May.

4 Likes

99% of foreigners in Taiwan are likely not members of this site, so if a foreigner did get infected chances are they wouldn’t be posting about it here, unless things get so out of control that the hundred or so active members on this site actually do get infected. I’m sure there have been some cases amongst foreigners, but I don’t think the CDC are announcing the nationalities of cases anymore, so we wouldn’t know.

Foreigners on average probably have a lower probability of having been infected in Taiwan since - again on average - they are less likely to live in a huge extended family, have less relatives to visit, drink less “tea” and are also probably more attuned to the risks of covid from their home countries.

However, the risk of having been infected is pretty small for everybody so far. Statistically about 1 in 3000. Divide this number by two because not all cases are identified. Even divide it by three. Still leaves only a 1 in 1000 probability.

5 Likes

One of the very early cases back around April 2020 was a foreigner (USA) in Taichung, who wrote a blog on his experience and it was linked here by someone. I am not going back looking for it though, too much to wade through.

2 Likes

Seems things are halfway back to normal today, breakfast shops are open, streets are busy, people going to work. Maybe the government gave the assurance of cases trending down too soon?

However people seem more paranoid here - lots of goggle wearing users on the MRT. Whereas in the US it was hard to spot them even in peak of pandemic.

I also noticed that this morning. My local breakfast shop that has been deserted for the past two weeks was suddenly busy this morning, and the bus stop beside it had quite a few people waiting. Maybe bosses saw the numbers going down and asked staff to go back into work?

4 Likes

No I know but we constitute a valid cohort (don’t know that that word means really). For all our angst have any of us actually caught the lurgi?

Yeah i know that guy. His family visited him I think and brought the virus with them.

2 Likes

Maybe people are starting to realize that this COVID thing will be here for quite some time now. The longer it takes, the less sitting at home until it’s over becomes an option.

Or some people have already run out of instant noodles and now need to buy food at restaurants again.

3 Likes