Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

Hello, before commenting here about how this thread doesn’t meet all your hopes and aspirations for an open thread about the topic, please read this:

Then consider taking that advice, which I will follow up on, rather than commenting here, contributing more to exactly what you are commenting about, and making it pretty difficult for me to separate any stuff out at all without taking like 18 different steps

4 Likes

I made basically the same chart back on Tuesday

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/guesses-for-the-day/207069/894?u=hansioux

1 Like

Deleted

187 + 1 = 188 and 21 deaths reported today.

6 Likes

188 positive cases and 42200 tests. New low for overall TPR at 0.42%. Plus, Chen Shih Zhong is optimistic that the migrant workers cluster in Miaoli will be controlled so cases in Miaoli should go down by next week.

Really good trend so far, let’s see if it will continue till next week when we’ll start seeing the impact of Dragon Boat Festival traveling.

15 Likes

Doing surprisingly well. Except I’m expecting dumbassery to throw another spanner in the works. I see airline crew STILL are just underoging a three or five day quarantine …

I expect that braindead decision to backfire.

3 Likes

Are you serious?? They haven’t reversed that? After all this?

… and letting Taiwanese vaccinated airline crew in without any quarantine is at least at par or even worse

5 Likes

187 local cases. Still under 200, and though a little higher than yesterday and the day before, the 7-day moving average trend is still dropping. Given the mean of 5 days between exposure and symptoms, it’ll be interesting to see what’s in store for the next week.

1 Like

Seems like the mass-testing will only be an in country thing, no mass testing at the borders.

Glad someone is saying it.

The CECC said since last year, they have warned that obesity could be a cause of death after contracting #COVID19.

— William Yang (@WilliamYang120) June 18, 2021

Good article.

4 Likes

There is a construction site near my home. A new building just about finished.

Walked by this morning. None of the dozen or so workers I saw were wearing masks. None. Not even as chin shields. Just void of and masks at all.

I was shocked.
But then, on this heat…who wants to do construction work with one on.

3 Likes

Well, someone has to make sure that the numbers are not dropping into the double digits, right? Easy, we don’t want rush it.

:man_facepalming:

Saw a bunch of furniture movers yesterday, across the street from my place, delivering furniture and talking to the recipient, both parties shamelessly mask-less.

I walked down the street today and a woman was walking maskless. Not a care in the world. I don’t think we should wear them outside so I wasn’t gonna say anything. Still felt shocked though.

1 Like

I miss her.

Yes it is!

One of the co-authors of that CommonWealth Magazine piece is Chase W. Nelson (倪誠志), a postdoc at Academia Sinica and twitter guy recommended by @lostinasia for posting clear charts and graphs.

It’s good stuff!

Guy

1 Like

Yeah, @slawa posted that link pretty much at exactly the same time as I posted about the same article over in another thread, since things get buried kind of quickly in this thread with … weird? … arguments. As I said over there, I was very interested in the detailed comparison of outbreak sizes in Melbourne, New Zealand, and Taiwan. Our outbreak here is comparatively smaller than I realized.

4 Likes

127 + 1 = 128 and another 20 deaths unfortunately.

5 Likes

16% deaths?? That’s a worse fatality rate than SARS, quite concerning.