Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

Disease levels (covid related hospitalisations?) have been dropping fast.
https://nidss.cdc.gov.tw/en/nndss/Diagram?id=19CoV

1 Like

Why so few tests? Only testing symptomatic in direct contact with a cluster?

2 Likes

Maybe I read it wrong, thanks.
If that’s the case, stop travel from North to South for a bit and let everybody else go Level 2.

I think NTC mayor was pushing for more widespread testing, but it seems, as per usual , they aren’t going down this route. I suspect again they just don’t want to know the full numbers and hope social distancing and tracing of symptomatics can deal with it.

3 Likes

They been doing that since begining. Its part of their contact tracing that they trace only people in direct contact and “encourage” people living in hot spots to come out for testing. I think less people are coming out for testing now since if cases are less, more people will think that they are fine they dont need to get tested. Sadly this is how clusters are formed.

3 Likes

Another day passes without any official emphasis on the importance of good ventilation

7 Likes

I’ve been saying this for weeks. And then when testing increases the number never really goes up (at least not significantly), so it’s kind of bearing out. But people still say “TPR, TPR”… TPR is important, but only when things are massively out of control like at the beginning of the outbreak. With a couple exceptions, they know where to look now.

1 Like

My worry now is offices deciding “crisis over, everyone back to the office” leading to another surge in cases as asymptomatic people–which seems to be most cases with Delta–spread it around.

2 Likes

Since you’re Big Dave, I’m thinking…

Have the figures been announced for today?

Never mind: looks like 75+0.

That’s promising!

Hungry/angry. Same meaning in my house.

3 Likes

I think this is ideal ventilation

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Home quarantine details

giphy

2 Likes

Good idea, I wonder if trains schedules have been reduced.

This link about the spread of the Delta variant in Australia has me more nervous than I had been. Before reading the linked thread, I’d viewed vaccine progress here as basically a slow slog back to normal life. After reading this thread, I now feel like it’s more of a desperate race.

To be honest the requirements here haven’t hit me that hard so far, because since distance learning started, avoiding prolonged contact with people has been mostly easy. Avoiding fleeting contact, however, would be much more difficult - and would probably have restrictions to match.

But hopefully, like lots of news, once I read more on this I’ll discover it’s not quite so bad.

1 Like

This is a concern for authorities everywhere.

So far border controls have kept the Delta variant out of the general community in Taiwan. Let’s hope it stays that way until full vaccination rates increase . . .

Guy

2 Likes

That’s kind of crazy…I don’t think they have been wearing masks there though.

1 Like

I hope they weren’t wearing masks; if not, at least there are other lines of defense. But a lot of my actions (and frustration with policies here!) have been based on the idea that this virus is almost never - perhaps never - spread by casual passing outdoor contact. That calculation may have to change.

2 Likes

Wonder how these folks in France would handle the Delta variant in their midst (photo taken after a multiple day rave this past weekend—and no it was not lawful). I’m not seeing a lot of masks there. . .

Source: COVID-19: French police break up party - Taipei Times

Guy

1 Like