Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

Since it only seems some hospitals are doing different pricing for foreigners…it sounds more like an excuse or it may be a recommended policy and hospitals are able to set their own price for foreigners? Who knows what the real reason is…but it’s an embarrassing sight to be sure.

6 Likes

Good point Dave.

As a long-time patient at Mackay, I wish to say: WTF!

Guy

2 Likes

I haven’t been keeping up with this thread, but I am happy people are complaining about this. I noticed on 6/20 Far Eastern Hospital also charged foreigners more money for a PCR test. The nurse even confirmed that ARC holders sill have to pay the foreigner price. I didn’t want to push the issue, as my test was covered by my wife’s insurance.

5 Likes

They are using two different application forms in English and Chinese .

https://www.mmh.org.tw/webpage.php?id=208

There seems , at the very least , to be an effort to hide this pricing differential policy from foreigners somewhat.

As you can see only the 8000 NTD test and price is mentioned in the English form. No mention that that is a ‘special foreigner price’. Whereas in the Chinese version the options and pricing are very clear !

:no_mouth::no_mouth::no_mouth:

Georgie Mackay spinning in his grave.

9 Likes

All whilst receiving the majority of their vaccine stock from other countries.

2.5 million from USA
2.42 million from Japan
20,000 from Lithuania

Maybe instead of buying chocolates they can show thanks by stopping these discriminatory practices and treating people equally, especially since these vaccines from other countries were what helped get a lot of people in the first few priority groups (including hospital staff) vaccinated after the outbreak hit.

23 Likes

The Lithuania donation has not arrived. But your basic point is not off base.

Guy

1 Like

What’s really bizarre about this is that it’s only another NT$1000. How many foreigners are taking these tests? Can’t be a whole lot. What’s the point of scraping in a few extra '000s, particularly since the tests for citizens are massively marked-up already? It makes no difference to the (already over-inflated) bottom line.

The only obvious conclusion is that the test prices are increased for foreigners with no other intent except to say “fuck you”.

8 Likes

What the fuck? We need to ask this to CSZ directly during one of these pressers.

1 Like

Always the same excuse. Blame someone else. Then that other person gets asked. We didn’t set the prices. Misunderstanding, misunderstanding. So boring.

7 Likes

Actually they don’t show there’s a cheaper option on that English form. So could potentially make 2,200 ntd extra. That form just mentions 8000 ntd per test.

1 Like

Extra NT 80 for the Report to the specific country is going to make whole 300 bucks for Taiwan for every 100 foreigners. Not bad.
I always wonder how petty are those discrimination issues every time they pop up.

2 Likes

Probably we should just be thanking them for not shutting us up in dormitories.

12 Likes

Given the responses of the people who defend the discrimination towards the migrant workers, the current PCR test price difference, and even last year with foreigners being denied service at businesses, only foreigners being asked to show passport for travel history (at a time when foreigners made up less than 4% of total cases) and that time when the CECC tried to block foreigners with ARC from entering Taiwan (again when foreigners were less than 4% of total cases)…then yes we should be very thankful we aren’t in a cage.

4 Likes

I don’t expect anything to happen in the presser, at least nothing past a single sentence. So far in past incidents we’ve only gotten the “the virus effects everyone” and “everyone should follow level 3 regulations”

I am getting confused: someone said that from Saturday the price is cheaper for the tests, now it looks like it is more expensive. Do not get why Taiwanese pay less than foreigners, I call it discrimination.

1 Like

The prices have been lowered, when compared to before, but this past week or so foreigners have found that they have been charged significantly higher than Republic of China Nationals at some hospitals while others are reporting at different hospitals saying the price is the same regardless of nationality. The real reason is very unclear at the moment.

3 Likes

Cutting to the Chase (Nelson, that is). With these measures, Alpha (the dominant strain out there) can be controlled—if not yet brought down to zero.

With Delta (causing alarm in Pingtung and now Tainan), it remains to be seen.

Guy

4 Likes

I am having my Covid test appointment on Thursday so will find out then.

1 Like

I think that is right, especially with the continued vaccinations, even though the pace is slower than ideal. The Alpha strain can be controlled.

I think we’ll know the answer to that in the next few days.

General comment: Vaccinations, vaccinations, vaccinations. That is the lesson to be learned from all this. I think I check the vaccination thread more than any other now as a result. Very happy about the Moderna delivery set for Wednesday. Keep them coming!

Edit: That graph needs a new 100 horizontal line. Assuming the Delta strain doesn’t start up, that will be the number to watch for now.

3 Likes