Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

Or maybe you just have a feet fetish, so you never notice the men.

I have many fetishes, but feet aren’t one of them.

Can’t argue with your last point. I just mean that people generally don’t need the absolute best doctors at the top hospitals for every trivial ailment.

My former landlady here once got hit by a scooter and waited several weeks to get an appointment with a doctor “with good reviews” at NTUH or wherever. It’s like…all you need here is a vaguely competent doctor who can read an X-ray and is available soon-ish.

3 Likes

In my experience, this is harder to find in TW than you might think.

3 Likes

Haven’t had that issue. The incompetent doctors I’ve come across have been firmly within the minority, and it’s easy enough to go see another doctor when that does happen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good for you and your freedom. I’d prefer not to see your slovenly toes, though.

Sometimes it makes me wonder whether Taiwan is a really sick (as in I’ll health) society when so many people flood the hospitals. It’s likely a reflection of how a country is doing development wise.

1 Like

I like the hospital websites. They publish the doctor’s educational background and practice expertise. I chose doctors based on this and don’t mind waiting for an appointment. I haven’t had the same experience with neighborhood clinics. They are fine for simple issues. Taiwan really does have talented but overworked doctors id you don’t mind waiting.

4 Likes

My point is that the US has public healthcare that is accessible. It has Medicare, Obamacare, numerous charities such as the Shriners, etc.

In other words, it is a hybrid system. Like Canada, like most of the EU, like Singapore, etc.

What the US does well is develop medicines and provide a free enterprise system that allows that to develop.

Where it can improve is procurement, legal, etc. But who controls the tort reform, legal industry, etc…way more Dem Party than Repubs.

The Dims complain about the stink but then are happy to shit and roll over in it to make money.

1 Like

Agree. A large portion of shoes were designed with no human feet in mind.

1 Like

Back on topic, I find this fascinating:

7 Likes

Imagine hearing the boss say if you don’t shut down you suffer serious consequences.

Without going into detail, I’m going to call this Apple story uninformed and misleading.

But it’s Apple Daily trying anything to sell news, so what do you expect.

1 Like

They don’t care about COVID, they just don’t think the risk of being shut down or fined a million NTD is worth it.

2 Likes

Amen! Until this semester (which saw huge increases in teaching + research + service + last minute MOE/師培/等 paperwork), I had a weekly manicure (just a touch up, nothing fancy) and monthly pedicure. I don’t wear sandals (perish the thought), but enjoyed the chatting and a bit of light pampering.

With the Level 3 (reasonable, perhaps even not extreme enough) restrictions, there is no chance of a mani-pedi (even last semester I wore a mask throughout the session). What I’m feeling the most strain from, given current restrictions, is the lack of a weekly foot and body massage (not 萬華 style, but a legit and high pressure acupressure session). We all make sacrifices. 加油!

A bit of restraint now will prevent future regrets.

1 Like

will never forget one time in Medellin airport, saw a Colombian soldier in full camo gear getting pedicured at a stall.

Latinos, eh!

4 Likes

probably also says something that the airport even has such a service.

Absolutely. A (hu)man’s needs should not be subjected to stereotypes.

2 Likes

Soldiers do tend to look after their feet. Vital piece of equipment. Can’t walk properly, you’re f’ed.

5 Likes

Hey maybe it was break time. Possibly included a foot massage from wearing those boots.

What else did you see in Medellin?