Coronavirus - Taiwan OPEN June 2021

NTC: 4.015 million
TC: 2,704,974

2 Likes

I hate the young snots with scooters that always gather on the street and pulling their masks down, chatting, smoking, chewing and spitting.

1 Like

Xindian population 300 thousand. 12 cases.

Does not make me feel any better knowing the cases were found two blocks away and we keep those numbers for two weeks, meaning there are too many unidentified roaming contagion sources.

And worse when those sources roam down South, East, the supermarket…

Don’t disagree, but TW is now in a lose-lose situation until it gets vaccines.

Bigger point, again, is that policymakers’ credibility suffers when people look at the rules and they don’t make sense. Like, I can’t take a socially distant walk on the beach but I can be in an office with a bunch of asspickers for 8-10 hours/day 5 days a week?

No, I said that the people who get it will try to make what they believe are prudent choices. The people who don’t get it won’t start to get it because someone keeps telling them to stay inside. They’re not listening, and never have been. People like that are the reason why the virus got into TW in the first place.

1 Like

Look, I see this as that poor bird who came in my house. If he had remained outside, he would still be alive. Alas, why the heck did he get into a place with 4 cats? To steal their kibble?

I’ll get my kibble online, thank you.

And we have vaccines. Millions have been bought and paid for, just not delivered. Taiwan has some to use to cover first line medical workers and shall expand distribution when stocks are here.

By this standard, nobody should ever leave their house, ever. Right now in TW, you have a much higher chance of being seriously injured or dying at the hands of a car than you do getting severely ill or dying from COVID.

Doesn’t mean people shouldn’t take adequate precautions based on science and their age and health, but making COVID out to be a guaranteed death sentence isn’t useful. It’s not.

Vaccines don’t help until they’ve been injected. No point in rehashing all of the past and still ongoing issues with TW’s vaccine clusterfu…

3 Likes

Do you think we averted dragonboat covidpocalypse or not? HSR empty, but highways pretty packed.

Get back to us in 10-14 days.

In the meantime, hang tight and avoid crowds, especially if you hear folks complaining that the food is “too sweet.”

Guy

5 Likes

This made me lol. Surefire way to identify you dirty northerners in the wild. :wink:

2 Likes

Is there a link/source around that shows how many cases are Active at present? From what I see, barely nobody has recovered since it first started spreading from the Novotel. There have been a total of 12746 cases of which 11202 are supposedly still Active.

Shows how many undetected cases there must really be around due to too low testing. The Taiwanese health system is not so incapable to produce such a high case fatality rate on its own

3 Likes

Testing? If you test today and you are negative, you can become infected two days later.

After a year and a half we still hear this nonsense? Yes the keyword is “Right now”. The whole point is we don’t want it get to a point where a couple percent of the total population would die pointlessly when this can be avoided by simply taking a few precautions.

You might have missed the point. The case fatality rate is the number of deaths divided by the number of identified infections. This ratio is much higher in Taiwan than in comparable countries. Typical is 2-2.5%, not 3.2% like in Taiwan. So this shows that the denominator is too small. In reality the number of cases must therefore be much higher

5 Likes

Thank you for presenting the figures broken down into local and imported. Some people neglect to do so.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be a couple of percent of the population though would it? Half a million dead in the US. What percent of the population is that? And that is after a year.

You are exaggerating a lot. Speaking nonsense? It might be 1 percent of the people who get it. And most people… over 90 percent won’t even get it.

So where did you get that figure of a few percent of the total population from?

The uk had 128000 deaths out of 66 million.

So that is about 0.2 percent. After 18 months.

2 Likes

It’s been reported that the virus in Taiwan is the UK variant B.1.1.7.

Do you believe this information to be false?

If not, what info do you have that is going to kill “a couple percent of the total population” if we don’t take a “few precautions”? What factors make the current situation that much more serious than, literally, every other country in the entire world and what “precautions” are required to save the lives of hundreds of thousands of people? “Simple precautions.”

Calm down.

Trains are near empty so that probably means people are remaining home.

6 Likes

I sense a note of sarcasm.

I read somewhere that even though the highways are still packed, overall vehicle traffic was down about half compared to previous year’s dragon ball festival traffic. So that’s… something… I guess. Still a lot of selfish wankers needing their southern zongzi.

@afterspivak tried to tell them to order online. They just didn’t listen.

2 Likes