Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

Sure, but Taiwan is a small booming export driven economy on an island. The Taiwanese commercial pilots are not short of work.

1 Like

Eh. Cathay Pacific can go bankrupt for all I care after they fired pro-demorcracy supporters.

They can get fucked.

1 Like

They were (before this awful clampdown) an excellent company, far better than the two Taiwan carriers.

But yes sadly they have become something different now, as has HK . . .

Guy

2 Likes

Cathay had no choice. The original CEO resigned rather than give up names. Cathay is owned by Swire group, one of the colonial British companies that I’m sure Beijing is going to strangle. I mean Beijing probably doesnt think China needs foreign owned airlines when it has state owned ones

1 Like

If Cathay goes under, who will pick up all those domestic and international routes?

Its a little different in OZ, you have no choice as to Hotel, you go where the Government takes you, and pay a flat fee (AUD3,000 in NSW) which includes Airline style meals for the whole 14 days. Not all hotels are involved as there is a ‘stigma’ associated that some don’t want attached to them. These hotels are also used for people from other States as well, and thus the number of available rooms impacts the number of International arrivals, which in turn results in Stratospheric (think Business Class +) Fares.

2 Likes

But I did not speak up. Because I was not a…

1 Like

The world has changed. Hong Kong has changed. Beijing would literally close down the company under the NSA as in example.

There is a stigma in Taiwan as well. A lot of hotels don’t want to be involved

I mean it seems like a different version of a similar system. At least in Taiwan people have a choice

2 Likes

You’re right about the stigma. I’d bet money that hotels that are benefitting now will go out of business later. I’ve overheard discussions about whether a particular hotel was a quarantine hotel or not. Their facial expression shows the “Ewww” factor which may be hard to shake for branding later.

SWIRE is the major Shareholder, BUT, Air China owns about 30% (and Cathay owns some of AC as well!!) and Qatar Airlines owns about 10%. If Cathay were to go under, then their routes would presumably be palmed off to the Chinese Carriers (AC, China Eastern, China Southern). The other option of course being that AC takes it over and keeps the name. Whatever, Cathay is stuffed, service to passengers has gone down the toilet (as this once regular customer has found), cabin crew are surly, and so on. Mind you, I last flew on them in February 2020. Most of their 777’s (and a lot of Singapore 380’s) are stored at Alice Springs in Australia (Check out YouTube for a look see).

3 Likes

Yeah I think this is what Beijing thinks as well.

1 Like

I have seen hotels with advertising outside stating that its not a quarantine hotel and inferring that its safe to stay there.

2 Likes

Exactly, kind of puts the kibbush on the BIG HOTEL conspiracy pulling the puppet strings of the CDC.

I thought they introduced the hotel quarantine when they wanted to allow business/working visas back into the country, but extended it when people where braking home quarantine either intentionally or accidentally.

1 Like

They also stopped home quarantine over cny when the numbers of people returning were too high to track.

:thinking:

ZERO again.
0 + 1 = 1 and no deaths.

7 Likes

Retirement: DENIED!

4 Likes

Some are loss making, but one Taiwanese are airline are profitable.