Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

Back to Zero again.
0 + 6 = 6 and no deaths.

8 Likes

:grin:

How do these guys do it?

I donā€™t know if itā€™ll last, but this is genuinely insane given the Delta breaches weā€™ve faced.

Guy

4 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

4 Likes

I think Contact Tracing has been the Key.
EDIT - And mask wearing.

5 Likes

And high compliance with the rules across the board. I went to a track near my house yesterday and ran 5k. It turns out that the mask I chose was terrible after it got wet with sweat. The innermost layer was getting sucked into my mouth every inhalation. But instead of taking the thing off, I used one hand to pull it an inch or two away from mouth. I didnā€™t dare take it off or even do a chin diaper because every single other person was wearing a mask and wearing it properly.

3 Likes

I definitely recommend using the ā€˜sturdierā€™ masks for exerciseā€¦the inner layers holds up better to sweat and wonā€™t get sucked into your mouth. Basically the ones that donā€™t feel like a cheap piece of cloth. Also can try using the 口ē½©ęž¶ to put inside your mask so that way you never have to worry about it. I got a few that are a little too small but they do the trick and keep the cheap masks from being sucked into my mouth when doing some hiking or workouts.

3 Likes

Yeah, nah, I donā€™t think itā€™s genuinely insane.

and an almost fanatical dedication to the pope

1 Like

This 1000%. I have learned the hard way from running with various masks that they are NOT all created equal. A mask getting sucked into your mouth while you are gasping for air is really just the worstā€¦

2 Likes

Get one of those 3M masks, put a light filter on them. Those are rigid, wonā€™t get sucked into your mouth.

Iā€™ve been wearing a buff for cycling since all these measures started, and I havenā€™t had issues with wearing it while exercising - plenty of other cyclists are doing the same. But Iā€™m not sure if thatā€™d pass muster at a running track.

And yeah, Iā€™ve had a couple of brief scares when Iā€™ve been sweaty and have suddenly sucked my mask into my mouth. Nothing actually dangerous - just startled.

1 Like

I actually had one of these from Costco all ready to go:

But then I walked out the door and rode the scooter almost to the track without a mask on. I had one extra in the seat.

As for danger of asphyxiation, Iā€™m running so damn slow these days (and it was a grass run right outside the 8th lane), I donā€™t need to be concerned with that. It was uncomfortable as hell, though, before I pulled it away from my mouth.

I took the afternoon off so there werenā€™t too many others at the track at 4. So even with these fake masks, I didnā€™t feel there was any danger of the virus flying from another person onto me!

2 Likes

The Civil Aeronautics Administration on Friday said it had fined the pilot who was found to have spread the disease to his son NT$400,000 (US$14,422).

He was also dismissed from the airline for contravening quarantine protocols.

EVA Airways was fined NT$12 million for its failure to supervise the pilot, the agency added.

6 Likes

That headline. I think we can all breathe a bit easier (for now anyway).

1 Like

Slight uptick in double vaccinated number at 6.73%. And weā€™re almost at 50% for those that received at least one shot.

Iā€™ve decided that once I get my second AZ (or maybe it will be a mix with BNT?), Iā€™m going to be far less cautious. I plan to head back to the pool, for example.

3 Likes

Headline writers at the Taipei Times are often terrible. Donā€™t just stop at the headline!

Minister Chenā€™s point (spoken yesterday) is that he thinks the pilot cluster is contained, and the Banqiao kindergarten cluster is close to being containedā€”they are still waiting for results of some tests of some contacts.

Guy

1 Like

This is very impressive. Slow start in the vaccine race but Taiwan is catching up very quickly.

1 Like

Pun intended?

1 Like

Howā€™s the presser today?

Guy