Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

Another pilot! Didn’t they learn anything here?

2 Likes

English article by TaiwanNews (first one I found in English)…check for other English articles later in the day.

Because the boy had a Ct value of 11 and the center considers it likely he was infected with the delta variant, classmates of the boy and students who entered the same classroom must enter 14-day isolation immediately. Family members of the boy’s classmates must also enter “preventative isolation” in a quarantine center.

1 Like

I don’t mean to suggest they were wildly off but I think there must be asymptomatic cases floating about.

What does a CT value of 11 imply? More infectious?

From the article

“ The latter pair, both men in their 50s, recently returned to Taiwan from a flight to Australia and tested positive for COVID-19. According to a preliminary investigation, case No. 16,120, first took a long flight to Chicago and because his test results were negative when he arrived in Taiwan on Aug. 26, he returned to his home to undergo enhanced self-health monitoring.”

There you go. Pilot arrives and goes home on Aug 26. Again same mistake because of the pilots ‘quarantine’ or lack thereof maneuver.

6 Likes

Yes. Lower the value, it means it was contracted recently and has a very high transmission power.

5 Likes

Thanks for the link. From that article, emphasis added:

According to a preliminary investigation, case No. 16,120, first took a long flight to Chicago and because his test results were negative when he arrived in Taiwan on Aug. 26, he returned to his home to undergo enhanced self-health monitoring.

He then flew with case No. 16,119 to Brisbane, Australia on Aug. 30 and returned to Taiwan that same day. A PCR test taken on Sept. 2, his seventh day back in Taiwan, revealed that he was positive for COVID-19.

A total of 75 people were listed as contacts of case Nos. 16,119 and 16,120 and were placed in isolation and tested for the virus. Case No. 16,120’s son, case No. 16,122, is a boy in his teens who had symptoms of heatstroke on Aug. 30. He experienced a sore throat on Sept. 1 and was diagnosed with COVID-19 on Sept. 3.

Oh. Silly me. I thought a couple of months ago the pilot quarantine holes had been closed - weren’t there a bunch of news stories about that?

Ok, I’m suddenly a lot more annoyed about quarantine rules.

7 Likes

If wanhua activities are not involved, I predict this one will fizzle out.

This quote may provide some:

But it seems unclear to me. Is there a difference between the two?

Third time’s the charm!

2 Likes

That story seems ridiculous. From what I can gather, it seems the pilot was just allowed to immediately return home with his family upon arriving from the U.S. (with another trip to Australia in the middle, with another pilot who is now/was already infected). Then his kid took the virus to school…

I also thought they’d changed the rules such that this wouldn’t be possible.

6 Likes

If there is no containment in the next few days It probably is time for Taiwan to just get over with it. forget vaccinating the teenagers and give the shots to the elderly. Use masks, stop large gatherings and maybe keep bars/ clubs / ktv’s shutdown but otherwise keep life going and deal with the infections as they come. They will come anyway.

3 Likes

It implies a measurement error or gross baseline offset. That’s a gain of 2000x, which is a very small number if you’re counting viruses. Not impossible, but kinda unlikely. The usual Ct for symptomatic cases is high 20s, ie., a gain around 100 million.

1 Like

Genius. Pure genius.

From what we’ve seen, there is absolutely no way they will give up that quickly. No thanks, Neville Chamberlains!

Guy

If the virus does spread from this incident (not saying it will) Minister Chen would most likely be forced to resign. This is the third time a pilot or pilots have caused community spread. What’s the point of us wearing masks eight days a week if the CDC can’t plug the rather obvious leak that keeps opening at the border? If you let pilots home quarantine then their family members must follow the same protocol and not go into public spaces. It’s a no brainer.

14 Likes

I dont think its his fault even though he is the spokesperson. My gut feeling says there are people which he cant say no to that make these stupid policies which he has the be the one coming out and announce.

4 Likes

Have pilots become the strongest lobbying force in the ROC? If so, when did this happen? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Guy

6 Likes

It’s okay. You can type “Fan Yun.”

2 Likes

Oh no I’m sure. But who the fuck is doing this lobbying for the pilots. Team of 23 million but go ahead and fuck it up for us if you must.