Coronavirus - Taiwan Open September/October 2021

Everyone needs to chill out. The kid went to school for one day and the whole bloody school is being shut down, immediate contacts are being quarantined and everyone in the school is getting tested. All the other kids were wearing masks and we don’t know this kid’s viral load. Wait to see if other cases start popping up over the next few days before you shit yourselves.

7 Likes

Yeah, at present I see zero reason to fault the school. Sigh. Just when things were starting to seem stable again … well, we’ll see what happens.

1 Like

who thinks that?

1 Like

I read everyone at the school and their families are going into government quarantine facilities.

Edit: correction, classmates and classrooms close to one with infected kid.

1 Like

The overreaction here is insane. Delta is bad, but people are acting like this kid was going to KTVs all over the country for a month. I think they’ll contain this after a few days of bedwetting.

3 Likes

Fortunately, though, there will be no access to lockdowns, quarantines, plastic barriers, yellow tape, and whatever ludicrous tomfoolery they come up with to “control” delta when it hits. That’s going to be a show worth watching.

And in the safety of what country will you be watching from?

3 Likes

One of the 7000+ islands of Elbonia.

I think there should be a rule that if you leave Taiwan you lose access to Forumosa… or at least can’t blather on about our COVID policy all day.*

*- no, I’m not serious.

5 Likes

There does seem to be quarantine for families of students as well. I assume there will be an English-language article along soon; below is a Chinese-language one discussing it. Over 500 are going to be quarantined in centralized quarantine centers, although if in a few days there are no more confirmed cases, the quarantines will be lifted early.

I assume / hope most of us have an earthquake go-bag already. I think I should make a list for a “quarantine go-bag” as well, just to be prepared. No need to actually pack it, but I want to be able to pack it at somewhat short notice. (EDIT to clarify: i.e. if someone I’ve had contact with has the virus, and I suddenly discover I have to go to a quarantine center for two weeks, I want to have a plan rather than face a very flustered and disorganized hour or two or however long they give you of packing.)

1 Like

And do what?

2 Likes

Um … have a plan if I’m suddenly called one day and told “Hey, one of your students has the virus, so we’re taking you to a quarantine center for two weeks. You’ve got an hour before the taxi arrives. Get ready!”

2 Likes

There won’t be food or other convenience item shortages… at least none that last beyond a few days. They’ve had practice with securing supply chains under duress from panic shoppers over the last year and a half.

EDIT: Never mind, I understand what you mean now.

1 Like

I do recall one that left for the USA a few months back, then looked down on Taiwan for several weeks after flooding the place with posts in his very active 1st month on Forumosa … before suddenly going quiet

2 Likes

I’ve been predicting this to everyone I talk to for days. Four months almost of no in-person classes and a lot of WFH did the trick. But did anybody really think the low numbers were actually representative? Dining rules relaxed. 13,000 international students let in, likely some with Delta, test or no test. Restart classes and of course clusters are going to happen. Did we have any choice? Not really but you could see it coming. Will it be massive? Unlikely, but stuffing kids who are natural spreaders of everything, many likely coming from homes with laissez-faire covid safety attitudes, and you are increasing chances of spread.

1 Like

The government had a friggin’ other 3 months to prepare and really lock down on arrivals, nothing. Exactly the same as before.

When they announced contacts were required to quarantine, at the time they said people who live alone with private bathrooms could quarantine at home. Anybody know if this is still the case? Those gov quarantine facilities send chills down my spine.

Before you really can start doing something when going to China 3 weeks have passed and 5 tests have been taken. What is actually happening in Taiwan? 2 weeks and 1 test?

I thought so. I still do. Based on the VERY limited information, the possible Delta case in Taoyuan seems to have come from the kid’s pilot parent. Taiwan had mostly squashed the previous outbreak - but now we have to fear a new one.

Sorry, no idea. Haven’t seen any information about this.

1 Like