Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

8 posts were split to a new topic: Teaching in the time of Omicron

I guess a celeb was criticizing Chen clock on a live stream about shutting down schools He then apologized and Chen told public figures to not criticize the government?

am I losing the meaning of this translation?

2 Likes

This abdication of responsibility has a very high risk of triggering mob rule and/or a positive feedback scenario in which the government panders to vocal fearmongers with draconian responses.

What they need to be doing is issuing strong reassurance, not telling every man and his dog to put up plastic tape and demand proof of vax. But I don’t think they will, because that would require courage and leadership skills.

11 Likes

Chen isn’t the one shutting down schools anyway. That’s an autonomous decision the schools and school districts make. Chen has actually been very reasonable during this outbreak.

2 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Teaching in the time of Omicron

Boosters would be pointless otherwise. Obviously every shot should statistically increase protection to some degree. That’s the point of them, isn’t it?

Hardly at all. Almost statistically insignificant.

4 Likes

lol, yes.

Sorta depends on the classes you have, some students are more suited to different things than others. I used a lot of student-made videos with one section of my teaching because of the nature of the course and the students. I wouldn’t want a lot of text based stuff in a large class if I know I can’t be bothered to read it all and give my own feedback (actually tried it with one online module for a smaller class, they just ignored it and asked for the face-to-face talk-heavy style). Another axiom is that not all techniques will work for all teachers with all students.

3 Likes

I can vouch for omicron being tough to see with home quick tests. Went through this a month ago:
1st day I had sore throat and cough = negative
2nd day, cough and fatigue = negative
3rd day, cough, fatique and 101 fever = positive
My 10 year old tested positive first day he felt bad, 8 year old got sick but never tested positive, same for my wife. I’d guess both had it since they had the same symptoms around the same time as my son and I.
None of us ever caught Covid up til last month. omicron is super contagious, everyone is getting it here this spring.

And this was all mild compared to the flu we all got 2-3 weeks later.

4 Likes

Bad news. Looks like a two year old boy is going to die from Covid.

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Great. We will be in lockdown before CSZ can say 「你打疫苗了沒」

1 Like

Does this only apply to employees or to guests too? The article is quite vague in talking about “people”

3 Likes

Very sad news :cry:.

2 Likes

Haven’t they been allowed to bypass this by testing once a week? Has that changed?

this is very sad news…wonder if the baby has a pre-existing condition?..this will start mob outrage. can’t really understand the article though, says the 2yr old was intubated?

2 Likes

It said tracheotomy, so I guess they couldn’t intubate. Definitely something very unusual, probably some condition.

5 Likes

Covid Stats For 2022-04-16

Local = 1199

Airport = 143

Quarantine = 9

Deaths = 0

Severity of Symptoms for Local Cases

4 Likes

I wonder at what point they’ll need to redraw that table. It’ll look a bit inconsistent if they just reduce the font size again.

Slightly more tests than yesterday I think - 55,158 tests, 2.17% positive.

Are they still reporting how many of the positive cases were identified in isolation/through contact tracing/in the wild?

3 Likes