Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

It’s exactly the same in NZ. People found it very hard to accept there was no lockdown and they’re finding it hard to accept that masks are now off in schools. Every single reported death is regarded as a national tragedy even though most aren’t really Covid deaths.

I think that Chen is following NZs approach very closely since they’re three months ahead of us and they have a very science-based government. (Disclosure: my sister is a part of the MoH)

9 Likes
4 Likes

They’re likely blue voters to begin with so. Not like we had their vote to begin with.

2 Likes

the new craze is covid insurance. People buying up the bs.

2 Likes

$650 for $50 000! I want to know what the catch is. Had to explain the maths on this with my wife. If everyone is going to get Omicron, how/where/why would insurance be obligated to pay you?

With the way Taiwan is going, it’s quite likely that any one person will get diagnosed in the next year, so insurance is probably not a bad idea if it pays out just on a diagnosis.

1 Like

I bought some of that. Not because I’m worried about Covid, but because that it only cost 1,500 ntd for the year and if I catch Covid then they will pay me 50,000. I think they cover other stuff, I can’t remember.

3 Likes

Surely they must have made the rules stricter since 2020 or whenever they introduced this insurance?

I’d most likely be willing to pay NT$1,500 for NT$50,000 if I test positive, but it seems logical that they would have changed the requirement to being hospitalized or something by now, given that they’d likely lose money otherwise? There must be a catch there?

4 Likes

There is always a catch. Perhaps you need stated proofs: of your income, time spent sick, diagnosis, maybe even a sign off from your doctor/employer. The insurance company wants to make bank off of these policies, and they aren’t going to be able to unless they avoid a.) paying out a significant sum b.) paying out to the majority of people.

1 Like

I got mine right before CNY this year. There was no hospitalization requirement. I think the only requirement is you have to be in quarantine. I’ll have to ask my wife if home quarantine counts or if it needs to be at a hotel. I know they won’t pay out if you go aboard and catch it.

2 Likes

Hmmm…quarantine might be the catch then? Perhaps that’s a contribution toward quarantine costs or something. I can’t see how they’d even come close to breaking even otherwise…

If the oldies won’t take it, we will make sure the young will take more.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: Teaching in the time of Omicron

I guess a celeb was criticizing Chen clock on a live stream about shutting down schools He then apologized and Chen told public figures to not criticize the government?

am I losing the meaning of this translation?

2 Likes

This abdication of responsibility has a very high risk of triggering mob rule and/or a positive feedback scenario in which the government panders to vocal fearmongers with draconian responses.

What they need to be doing is issuing strong reassurance, not telling every man and his dog to put up plastic tape and demand proof of vax. But I don’t think they will, because that would require courage and leadership skills.

11 Likes

Chen isn’t the one shutting down schools anyway. That’s an autonomous decision the schools and school districts make. Chen has actually been very reasonable during this outbreak.

2 Likes

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Teaching in the time of Omicron

Boosters would be pointless otherwise. Obviously every shot should statistically increase protection to some degree. That’s the point of them, isn’t it?

Hardly at all. Almost statistically insignificant.

4 Likes

lol, yes.

Sorta depends on the classes you have, some students are more suited to different things than others. I used a lot of student-made videos with one section of my teaching because of the nature of the course and the students. I wouldn’t want a lot of text based stuff in a large class if I know I can’t be bothered to read it all and give my own feedback (actually tried it with one online module for a smaller class, they just ignored it and asked for the face-to-face talk-heavy style). Another axiom is that not all techniques will work for all teachers with all students.

3 Likes