Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

Under the new rationing system, which is expected to begin in early May and would be similar to one for surgical masks introduced in February 2020, every resident in Taiwan would be given a quota of five at-home test kits.

4 Likes

Get ready for another shitshow. Maybe I’ll have trouble purchasing these, like I did at the beginning of the mask rationing. Too bad.

All I hope is they don’t go taping off parks like they did last year…

3 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Covid vaccines for children?

Chen already planning on discussing fourth dose:

“Asked if the center would consider offering a fourth dose of vaccines to adults, as some US experts have said that immunity from the booster dose is waning, Chen said that it would also be discussed at the ACIP meeting.

Whelp regardless of what’s required by law, Wanhua Sports Center/Gym posted a sign stating that you won’t be allowed entry without 3 vaccinations. I’m good but it’s gonna be empty for a while. Gosh.

2 Likes

After chinese new year, I could get the Test Kit at any 7-11, nowdays our company ask us to take a test at the end of the weekends. And everytime I go to 7-11, they are out.
Now I go to COSMED to get them.

3 Likes

Tell your company they are legally obliged to provide the test to you if it is a mandatory test.

10 Likes

Are there fines if you missed some check ins?

Lucky I’m already forced into quarantine

2 Likes

I’m having trouble understanding the logic of this. This has to be a mistake.
I think it says that people who tested positive for covid can leave quarantine after 4 days if they test negative. But nothing about people who arrive in Taiwan and test negative the entire time must still quarantine for 10 days under the one person one residence rule?

2 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t make sense. Thing is, it also clogs up testing by encouraging people to get multiple tests when they don’t need to

2 Likes

But only when you isolate in a quarantine facility. If you isolate at home, you have to wait 10 days. Seems like they don’t trust their people. Oh my, this won’t work out. People will get so confused about those rules.

1 Like

Really? I thought you’d been in Taiwan for quite a while?

The thing that struck me was how they reconcile the following with the previous practice of considering people who arrived months ago as imported cases needing quarantine.

By the seventh and ninth days, infectivity becomes very low. On the 10th day, the infectivity of the virus is no longer detectable, so patients are considered non-infectious at this stage.

3 Likes

Or maybe according to their logic, people in their own home are basically chilling and not using government resources so they can stay there more longer.

1 Like

Exactly

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

There wasn’t enough capacity to last two weeks.

No PCR on day 10 of isolation is good news.

See… more and more politicians will get this isolation order and wonder at the validation of it all when symptoms more like a cold, etc. for 99% of people who get it (if not even negative result like theirs).
Hope Taipei and NTC do not turn into a mini-version of that bigger city across the pond if response strategy doesn’t radically change.

Ko and Huang underwent polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing at Taipei City Hospital’s Renai Branch on Saturday morning, and returned home to await test results. Although the test results were negative, the Taipei Department of Health identified Ko and Huang as close contacts of the case, placing them in home isolation until Sunday.

Ko yesterday attended the city’s COVID-19 prevention meeting via teleconference, saying: “I know very well that Taiwan will plunge into chaos this week, as more than 60,000 people are under home isolation now, and just think how much effort must be expended to take care of them.”

Ko later in the day told reporters via teleconference that the CECC should change its criteria for home isolation, as there are 9,479 city residents in isolation and in-person classes have been suspended for more than 33,000 students and teaching personnel.

He said if the CECC does not modify its COVID-19 response strategy, tens of thousands of city residents would be in isolation and almost all schools in the city would be suspended in the next couple of weeks.

4 Likes