Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments April 2022

Ah, that’s worth a try asking for them.
I’ll do that tomorrow.

1 Like

1M/mo, dang. I need to hit more tourist spots before the floodgates open back. Touristy spots are crowded enough as it is

1 Like

Well, it goes both ways. If tourist flood gates open, Taiwanese will start flying abroad to spend their money, instead of doing it domestically like they have for last nearly 2.5 years.
So, they might keep the same degree of crowds.

10 Likes

I’m so tired of “Taiwanese tourist spots.” Ask me how many hot springs I’ve been to lol. Can’t wait until international travel without quarantine opens again.

9 Likes

At only 50,000 tests per day (someone correct me if I’m wrong), 10,000 positive cases would mean that it’s all over the f*&^ing place.

After the daily number of new local COVID-19 infections reached a record 2,386 Wednesday (April 20), Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) chief Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) predicted the number might exceed 10,000 by the end of the month.

2 Likes

Hopefully they’re doing sewage tests on New Taipei City at the very least. I wonder what the real numbers are there.

4 Likes

I doubt they’d reveal the results if they do it

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter what the numbers are. Not the asymptomatic numbers anyway. Korea hit half a mill in one day but it doesn’t matter, the drop off is equally dramatic.

6 Likes

How many hot springs have you been to lol?

3 Likes

4 too many

3 Likes

So wtf is the current thinking from the TW govt now? Let everyone catch COVID and rest but we all still need to do a shit ton of paperwork, self testing, PCR, can’t leave the home, and have to stay locked in one room away from family?

You can’t have your cake and eat it too. If they want to treat it like the common cold then drop all the laws.

15 Likes

you might be right, todays positive rate was 4.4% at 52k tests.

The authorities here seem to be still trying to slow down the spread, while recognizing that a Shanghai style lockup is completely undesirable.

We’ll see how this plays out . . .

Guy

The authorities are not treating it like a common cold, as they know it will kill a bunch of people, especially the elderly.

Guy

Serious question: how long (weeks) it take to go from 1000/day to 500k/day in S. Korea?
Haven’t been following it. Hopefully rather quickly, and then Taiwan gets back to relatively normal.

I talked to a nurse who actually works in ICU, this is the gist of the conversation.

I think Taiwan’s hospital system is already very overloaded. Pre-covid all the hospitals are rammed full of people they are going with a slow burn doing anything to really SLOW the rate of spread down as much as possible. They want to avoid having to postpone people who need urgent attention and care for illnesses not related to covid.

As much as it sucks, there are still people who will get severely ill and end up in hospital taking up resources and it’s unfortunate that in Taiwan the most at risk groups haven’t really been vaccinated enough to avoid this potential clutter at the hospitals.

Also, 5-11 year olds in Taiwan haven’t been vaccinated, and yes while the chance of severe illness to kids is low, the sheer speed of transmission of omicron and amount of infections will probably still lead to some kids ending up in hospital.

Honestly, I’m one of the let er rip crowd folks who is selfishly hoping to travel around without quarantine asap. Not sure how they can really stop it from just spreading even with the measures in place. I feel it’ll just be slowed very marginally… maybe just enough to not overload hospitals? But then again most places haven’t had many hospital overloads from omicron, but it is also helps that 99% of seniors are vaccinated in the states and the most of the kids as well.

@KHHville in South Korea it went from 4k to 17k from jan 1 to jan 30th, and then to 100k by feb 17th. It’s just a rapid spread

5 Likes

Took about three months I think

I think it was slow at first then took off

1 Like

I just checked, and the numbers surprised me: Korea was consistently around 1000/day starting in last July. They stayed 1000-2000 per day until around December, jumping to 7000 or so, dropped down to 3000+ in mid-January, and then things took off: Jan. 18, 4,400; Feb. 3, 20,000; Feb. 19, around 90,000; March 18, 400,000 (and now still around 100,000)

So from the start of the real increase, if that was mid-January, to the peak in mid-March, was around two months - but it’s hard to measure where that “real increase” starts. (Conjecture is that’s when Omicron hit, but I don’t have anything to support that.)

Chart for daily confirmed cases, as of a few days ago: note Taiwan’s dramatic rise doesn’t even show up yet!

Chart for cases relative to population - once again, Taiwan barely even appears yet. We’re just at the beginning here.

Source here: COVID-19 Data Explorer - Our World in Data

5 Likes

They told everyone to “just live a normal life”, essentially throwing their hands up because they know they can’t win this time. These things change day by day but for now it looks like they’re having their cake and eating it too.

The cake is a very bland cake with little sugar and no frosting. As is tradition here.

9 Likes