Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments July-October 2022

Eh actually most Asia, like the big ones, Japan and Korea etc. are cautious with their “opening”.

And while the locals are restless, they still support the locked door policy. When they finally give in, then the government can open. Elections coming soon…

Which compared to other places, like certain European countries, where they relaxed measures during elections and now have cases spike, well, that’s the issue.

Current variants behave more like encephalitis and less than a cold. Acceptable danger or acceptable loses balanced against political and popular will and freedom of travel.

As I said, complicated.

2 Likes

Not this cautious. Japan has opened up to group tourism (no quarantine), and afaik Korea has completely opened up now.

That never pushed them to take their (far greater) traffic fatalities more seriously, sadly. And I take the cases of encephalitis in little children seriously, but that’s a dozen or so kids out of, however many tens of thousands have been infected so far. With the vaccines now available for small children it’s becoming a much rarer occurrence, thankfully.

As for their elections, I could care less :-1:

1 Like

That makes no sense. They haven’t even started vaccinating small children yet, so how could it already be a “much rarer occurrence”? How would you even know, since it’s so rare in the first place that the short-term measurements are dominated by noise? If you’re referring to vaccination of school-age kids, efficacy falls to zero within about 3 months, so you’re unlikely to see any payback for that, either.

I think the Taiwan authorities need to explain clearly whether these prominently-announced young cases of encephalitis represent a dramatic increase in what normally happens here; the fact that they haven’t put these cases in the context of the background rate suggests either that they don’t think it’s important, or that they’re up to something. As far as I’m aware, nowhere else on the planet experienced any remarkable increase in childhood encephalitis even during the days of delta.

My hypothesis is that a 100%-vaccinated young population has placed unique selection pressures on evolution of the local strain. I don’t think this has made a big difference to the virulence, but it could well have caused some qualitative changes in either the expected syndrome, or in the outlier cases.

As for Asia’s “cautiousness” generally: my feeling is that this is linked to the region’s general reputation for incorrigible corruption.

3 Likes

21 kids so far. The scary part is not finding an explanation yet.

And the encephalitis thinghie is in the variant most common in the US.

And yes, we will open up. But right now, history tells us that when they opened the doors wide open during the 1920s plague, they got hit the worst.

Remember that Taiwanese officials must be extra careful because not only they are liable to a very skittish electorate, staying strong is a matter of national security.

1 Like

What about the big children? Don’t they count?

Yes, but it’s much more prevalent in little kids.

This device: X-ray fluorescent (XRF) analyzer is closes to tricorder in modern world.

It emits Xrays to activate the material atoms and measures spectra of emitted secondary Xrays to identify the elements.
For example you can point it at a piece of steel and it will give you content of the alloy and can identify the steel type using built in database.

3 Likes

Report Completed1

Covid Stats For 2022-07-06

Local = 34,499

Imported = 78

Deaths = 95

Current Severity of Symptoms Statistics

Local Cases By Districts (Interactive Map)

Cumulative Table Of Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?dt_name=1&downloadall=yes

7 Likes

Perhaps worth mentioning that the original Chinese rendering of “Cumulative Table Of Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan” is the terse and ambiguous 台灣新增死亡COVID-19個案表. The ambiguity - omitting attribution of cause - is completely reasonable. IMO this translates more accurately (if clumsily) to “Dead individuals testing positive for COVID-19”.

I would be interested to know if any CECC official has, at any point, claimed that these people died unequivocally of COVID.

2 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Travel Taiwan During Covid-19 台灣防疫旅館 旅遊資訊

3 Likes

How would they know? Most people don’t do a pcr anymore.

Now we have to worry about BA5. We should go back to mask wearing and close the borders.

4 Likes

I’m surprised they bother sequencing the test samples, but I guess it’s only for a subset of arrivals.

And yet here’s the CECC, cranking up the merry-go-round again. Why exactly are we supposed to be more worried about this?

3 Likes

Greater fear leads to greater compliance and greater control.
Leaving it ambiguous benefits them.

1 Like

Because people with 0 - 3 inoculations are dying with cancer? Because we’ve been forced, politically, to show we are one of the big boys and purchased 2 years worth of inoculations that have a “use by” date?

3 Likes

Lo said that the woman’s brother and mother likely contracted the disease during the car ride from Taoyuan International Airport to Taichung, even though all five people wore masks throughout the entire journey, because the three arrivals did not meet with the two others when in quarantine.

Don’t want to say “I told you so”, but I’m sure a few of us pointed this out back when they introduced this new defeating-the-purpose-of-quarantine quarantine rule. It’s pretty fucking obvious that this would happen anyway.

Also:

even though all five people wore masks throughout the entire journey

:scream:

What a bunch of clowns. :clown_face:

10 Likes

Well… I suppose, if you introduce a mask mandate, somewhere inside your brain is a genuine belief that masks are a guaranteed method of preventing the spread of COVID.

Maybe they are getting ready to let us know that the next generation BA1 specific vaccines will be like the ones we have. Not very good at stopping you getting it.

Report Completed1

95 COVID-19 Deaths Reported on July 6, 2022

Female = 43 (45.26%)
Male = 52 (54.74%)

Age Distribution

90s = 16 (16.84%)
80s = 32 (33.68%)
70s = 22 (23.16%)
60s = 16 (16.84%)
50s = 6 (6.32%)
40s = 1 (1.05%)
30s = 1 (1.05%)
Under 5 - 1 (1.05%)

Vaccination Doses

0 = 38 (40.00%)
1 = 5 (5.26%)
2 = 20 (21.05%)
3 = 30 (31.58%)
4 = 2 (2.11%)

Chronic Disease History

Yes = 87 (91.58%)
None = 8 (8.42%) - All Females

Vaccine Status For Deaths With No Chronic Disease History

0 = 2 (Ages → F-90s, F-80s)
2 = 3 (Ages → F-80s, F-80s, F-60s)
3 = 3 (Ages → F-80s, F-80s, F-70s)

Click to see detailed cases report

Original CECC Report of 2022-07-06

7月6日新增死亡COVID-19確診個案表.pdf

Cumulative Table Of New Deaths From COVID-19 In Taiwan

https://covid-19.nchc.org.tw/deathstatistics.php?dt_name=1&downloadall=yes

4 Likes

Yeah it’s all-or-nothing, either a full guarantee or just foggetaboutit. :roll_eyes:

I agree however that the airport pickup policy is stupid.

Guy