Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments July-October 2022

. . . if the ticket was purchased in the UK, perhaps cheaper. If purchased in Taiwan, unfortunately not so much.

Guy

3 Likes

I’ve never had an issue with US border agents in airports. They’ve all been friendly and quick.

1 Like

What’s wrong with Gattaca?

It’s been a long time since I seen the movie but I think it’s basically discrimination based on your genes. I think your job is assigned based on what your genetic property is.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the scenario right now for EVA flights between Taiwan and Canada. Starting a flight in Canada is a lot cheaper than starting a flight in Taiwan - YVR-TPE-YVR is a little more than 50% the cost of TPE-YVR-TPE. (Pre-COVID that’s usually what I got - a return starting in Vancouver in August, and flying back the following July.)

No idea if it’s COVID related, but those EVA flights also no longer have premium economy - just business class and regular economy. This may mean I fly China Airlines for the first time in a couple of decades.

Oops, I guess this should all be moved to … I dunno … travel during COVID, I guess?

2 Likes

Completely out of topic: they have already built a functional tricorder.

Carry on COVID

1 Like

What does it mean? I guess it’s just some geeky cosplay thing with a working screen?

I haven’t watched Star Trek in years, but my recollection is that the tricorder is something you can, say, point at a rock and declare that it’s 33% dilithium or whatever, or determine the composition, properties, etc. of some arbitrary material.

That’s waaay away from what’s currently technologically possible, outside of some really specific applications (testing for drug/explosive residues at airports, for instance).

I think she’s referring to that little medical gadget that Dr McCoy waves over people to diagnose what’s wrong with them, and occasionally to fix them up too. I don’t recall that it ever had a name.

You probably could make an actual “tricorder”, as long as you didn’t mind it being the size of a wheelbarrow. There are quite clever portable instruments that use IR spectrometry to analyse the reflectance from things that you point at, and of course you could add different analysis modules all operating in parallel - I used to work for a company that made compact mass spectrometers - to widen the range of possible stuff it could do. Maybe the word ‘tricorder’ was supposed to refer to a instrument that analyses things with three different physical measurements.

We’re really getting a bit off-topic now. :laughing: But according to Wikipedia the “tri-” refers to “the three functions of sensing, recording, and computing”.

Apparently this is a “medical tricorder” because it has “a detachable hand-held high-resolution scanner stored in a compartment of the tricorder when not in use”. That’s definitely a long way off… (“Don’t worry, it’s just trapped wind. But the radiation from the tricorder has probably given you cancer, so I’d watch out for that.”)

I know you can do clever stuff for really specific applications, say, using various hyphenated mass spectrometry techniques coupled with some automated peak assignment software. I assume it’s also possible to do similar things using other spectroscopic techniques - pointing different types of electromagnetic radiation at stuff and measuring what comes back, then automating the analysis to some extent (I guess instruments like that are used in astronomy/space exploration).

But AFAIK all of this relies on knowing roughly what you’re looking at and choosing the appropriate thing(s) to measure. As I remember, the tricorder was something you could just point at pretty much anything and get an instant, automatically generated answer about what it was and its molecular composition or whatever. That’s the thing I’m saying is way off. Not to mention the size, as you said.

1 Like

Well, I dunno. Even all those years ago (90s) I proposed to the management that we could build neural networks into our products to perform various kinds of classification on peak data (they weren’t interested - it’s commonplace these days). Computing power and memory is just ludicrously cheap these days, so although there are a lot of physical subtleties, particularly with IR, you could probably cover enough common scenarios to get fairly close to the Star Trek ideal. It’d certainly be fun to try.

2 Likes

Cowards.

7 Likes

It’s pointless discussing it. They will maintain nonsensical measures for any nonsensical reason for as long as they see fit. Possible forever.

9 Likes

other countries such as South Korea waited until cases were much lower before they relaxed their quarantine rules.

From the article

Always following. Weak.

1 Like

Subvariants are here for ever.

Chuang replied by pointing out that Taiwan is still adding over 30,000 cases per day, while other countries such as South Korea waited until cases were much lower before they relaxed their quarantine rules.

Okay wait hang on. When we had almost no cases, the quarantine was strict because we didn’t want to let it in. But now we can’t further relax quarantine because we have too many cases? Surely that makes quarantine less important?

I feel like when cases get low enough, they’ll say “we can’t relax quarantine because the cases would go up again”.

14 Likes

Yup exactly. Pointless endless mulling and shifting goalposts, storyline and claiming special Taiwanese characteristics.
This mentality has tipped me towards looking to other places to move to now

8 Likes

The medical tricorder has been in development for a few years now.

Of course we haven’t yet gotten a tricorder as versatile as the show one but we are getting there. If you think that actually even transporter tech is in the works, we are not so far away. I read this a while back but I’ll try to get the link.

It is something Star Trek groups like to share: how real tech development is eventually catching up.

2 Likes

I keep an eye out on cases abroad and currently the graphs are intersecting: Taiwan’s is going down, West up.

This summer travel will be…complicated.

2 Likes

“We have no idea what we’re doing and just making it up as we go along”.

If they had a roadmap and stuck to it, instead of making ad hoc decisions and then justifying them with spurious reasons they pulled out of the committee’s rectum, they’d actually make their own jobs a whole lot easier and less stressful - they wouldn’t be sitting there paralyzed with fear (over their own jobs) and dreaming up silly excuses, because they’d have a concrete plan for what action A ought to occur under circumstances B, and the public would be aware of that plan.

I hope the world learns one lesson from this: if you put epidemiologists in charge of running the planet, nothing gets addressed except epidemiology problems.

Taiwan almost certainly has its own local dominant variant, but they don’t seem concerned about the possibility of exporting it elsewhere, and nobody else seems bothered about the possibility of importing it.

10 Likes

It’s only complicated because they make it complicated. Every other country except for China (who we definitely shouldn’t be emulating) has opened up. “Oh, cases are up? We have to stay closed so the health system doesn’t get overloaded.” “Oh, cases are down? We have to stay closed so this new sub-variant can’t get in.” This is just another bullshit excuse.

7 Likes