Coronavirus Taiwan - Specific Developments May/June 2022

And it was nice to see the battery in the “clock” changed quickly when the U.S. suddenly allowed visitors to enter without any test. Hmmm. Coincidence…

1 Like

Nope, no, no no.

Are we still requiring visas to enter Taiwan for non-residents? Are TECO offices in the US still overrun? It seems like no one yet understands how they plan to limit the number of arrivals to 25k?

They’ll out you on a rowboat in the ocean and you have to wait until they call your number

2 Likes

our company stopped requiring the rapid test on 1 June

1 Like

And if you happen to get called, then you’ll have to swim up the Tamsui River to the immigration center. If that doesn’t kill you, nothing will prevent you from gaining access to this beautiful island

Number 207 (May God rest his soul, in discussing him as a number I feel like someone digging up an ancient corpse who never agreed to donate his body to science) causes me personal concern because were I to be listed, I would match his description. But I draw comfort from the fact that others here have mentioned that “Still under investigation” means either he had no symptoms, or that he died of something else that had not been previously entered onto his medical record, or both.

In regard to the issue of covid deaths, I know this is not Taiwan specific and has likely already been argued ad nauseum in the open thread that I have avoided, so would be happy to delete this point or continue discussion there, but I have long been pondering the following:

When is a “covid death” not a covid death? I would agree with someone’s (perhaps Finley’s?) idea of sorting deaths into those of which covid was clearly the main cause or a large contributor, and those in which covid seems to have played little or no part.

And yet, I would argue (because it is raining, so I don’t wish to go outside instead) that there is perhaps no death in which covid can be completely ruled out as a contributing factor. Did a fuzzy head cause someone to drive slightly worse and thus die from a traffic accident? Did someone die from a gunshot wound because they were driven to a life of crime after being fired for catching covid?

This latter hypothetical case can justly be moved out of the “physically caused by the presence of covid” into the “deaths caused by society’s reaction to covid”, a group which, as many have said before, may stand as our greatest cause for regret.

And yet that also reminds me of something: there are more important things to consider in life than the very few people affected by this disease, especially with the rise of the weaker strains. Such as, when will it stop raining again?

Yes!

WorldwarZ--621x414

2 Likes

Did you consider that 3 shots were a large contributor?

If you are in doubt ask the Lizhang who is responsible for your quarantine. In my dad’s case he was allowed to use public transport but encouraged to not do this as much if possible. Only thing you can’t do is visit a hospital unless it’s for emergency.

Yes, actually. Public transportation is fine during the self-health management period.

https://www.mrhost.com.tw/uploads/1/3/2/6/132694223/b008-5_orig.jpg

Source: 7 days of self-health management regulations guidelines, what should you do during self-health management? - mrhost blog

Alternatively (source):

And quote from the same article: “While outside, you may use public transportation. However, you may not dine in restaurants, participate in large gatherings, or go to crowded places.”

Caveat: maybe this doesn’t apply to the new different self-health management in the 3+4 for arrivals system. That’s why I was annoyed about this upthread - it seems yet another variant in an already-complicated system.

5 Likes

Thanks - I’ve been wondering about that. A month ago lots of posters were talking about needing to take tests, but I haven’t seen much lately. I wasn’t sure if that’s because frequent testing had become background that wasn’t worth commenting on, or if it had stopped.

Why does it only say to avoid restaurants? Not forbidden?

I assume just a slightly confusing style choice. I take it to mean “Don’t eat in restaurants,” rather than “Try hard to not eat in restaurants.” (For the past week of my own self-health management, I’ve been wondering what the specific rule would be for eating in a cavernous near-empty food court, but I’ve chosen not to eat in those either, even though they’re not really restaurants? Maybe?)

The CECC chart is probably more authoritative, and that one says “prohibited from … dining in restaurants.”

1 Like

Take-out is fine. No dining in allowed during that “health management” period.

Guy

2 Likes

It’ll depend upon who you know.

I do think the same could be said of vaccine deaths: when is a “vaccine death” not a vaccine death? That subset I have already considered as part of the unfortunate set of “society’s reaction to covid played a part in this person’s death”.

The question of people in the overlap, covid + vaccine of course should be looked at carefully (as has been said before, and if anyone actually cares about counting and publishing any numbers, which has also been said before).

I consider it highly unlikely that I will be seriously affected by the virus. I had assumed the odds were slightly in my favour due to having had 3 shots, but I may be wrong, and that is not why I got the shots. My personal corroboration of the need to comply with rules it seemed too much of a hassle to dodge was due to my cousin having long covid.

Having no way to untake the shots I have to hope the odds are at the very worst not tilted against me. That’s why I said “personal concern”. But, as others have said, the odds are so low anyway, I really shouldn’t be bothered either way.

Ya, worry not.

1 Like

Oh well - a sad instance of Taiwan #1.

Copying out a rather confusing chart that’s embedded in the quoted tweet:

2 Likes

Can I go to my friends birthday party on the evening of the 4th day of self health management or do I have to wait until midnight? :slight_smile:

1 Like